Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
A grey flannel chalk stripe, medium weight and richly mottled, would be a perfect suit for all time, regardless of the vagaries of "fashion". I had one years ago with a DB jacket, and gave it away. I still regret that decision!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree with my fellow members here. It's a classic.

The only type I don't like (but that's just personal preference) is when the contrast is too stark, like on this photo (random photo from the internet).

Outerwear Tie Dress shirt Sleeve Textile

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Pin stripes are not out, and I doubt they ever will be.

What you want to consider is the cut of your suit. If your suit has been on the hanger for some time, and you bought it at a time when you were easily influenced by current fashion trends, or salesmen looking only to make a buck, it may not have a classic cut and suffer from stylings of another decade.

·
Registered
27,614 Posts
I agree with my fellow members here. It's a classic.

The only type I don't like (but that's just personal preference) is when the contrast is too stark, like on this photo (random photo from the internet).

View attachment 76889
Agree!

It might also serve to note that not all stripes are pinstripes. Three other varieties are chalk stripes, beaded stripes and chain stripes. The last two characterized by the width and vividness of the stripe. I believe the suit above to be one of these.

·
(aka TKI67)
3,175 Posts
Who remembers when Brooks Brothers' annual offerings of striped suits usually included chalk striped navy and medium dark grey and an alternating multicolored stripe in Golden Fleece, navy and grey chalk stripes in 346, and navy and medium grey pinstripes in Brooksgate? I stayed in the chalk stripe lane. Alternating a stripe of red, blue, or (one year only that I recall) violet was just too much to think about in the morning as I donned my armor. The crispness of the pinstripe was something I only tried once.

·
Registered
27,614 Posts
Who remembers when Brooks Brothers' annual offerings of striped suits usually included chalk striped navy and medium dark grey and an alternating multicolored stripe in Golden Fleece, navy and grey chalk stripes in 346, and navy and medium grey pinstripes in Brooksgate? I stayed in the chalk stripe lane. Alternating a stripe of red, blue, or (one year only that I recall) violet was just too much to think about in the morning as I donned my armor. The crispness of the pinstripe was something I only tried once.
I do.

Pinstripes dominated almost to exclusion in my youth, though I've always preferred the softer chalk stripe.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
That's my situation being retired and out of normal business types of settings. A navy suit for weddings and funerals is really all that I have worn for a good while.
I'll hopefully be entering the workforce this year, and I can't see myself wearing a navy or navy pinstripe suit. Too formal for me. A wheat brown or olive corduroy suit seems more doable.

All of this is mainly personal choice, business casual is the dress code in all offices that I've seen. Sports coat, trousers and casual suits is what I see myself doing, but we'll see what reality holds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts