Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have amassed a small fortune in wool suits and harris tweed jackets.I need to know if I need to worry about mothproofing my clothing room. If I do, what is the modern way of going about it and have any of you done this?
Cosmo:drunken_smilie:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Garment bags at the Wal-Mart for less than $2 each. Flimsy bags at Dollar Tree, $1. Just inside the bag, at the top, wrap some tissue wrapping paper around the hanger metal. Moths also add zest and protein to otherwise bland bullion.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yes, moths, or rather the moth larvae, are a problem when they eat a hole in your natural fabric clothes.

I keep all my out-of-season suits etc in single garment bags with scented moth packets added. The scented moth packets usually have a lavendar scent which goes away in a couple of days at the seasonal change. I do the same thing with wool and cashmere sweaters using two-sweater bags.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hell yeah!

I have a few very small holes in one of my Ballantyne sweaters and one in my Turnbull & Asser sweater; both cashmere.

There was some refrub work going on at home, so my clothes where moved about. I had worn the sweaters and just left them in my room, big mistake, when I tried to wear one about two weeks latter - big shock.

Normally I keep my cashmere sweaters and scarf in a medium-sized plastic bag that came with a duvet. Both will know need to respected company for repair.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I keep all of my woolens in zip up garment bags in my closet. I have not lost anything there yet. I did however suffer a moth attack on three items that I had out for a trip: a pair of flannel trou, a pair of twill trou and a golden fleece blazer. I was injured and never took the trip and it was three months before I went looking for those items. When I did I was horrified to find the holes. I inspected everything and proceeded to clean all of my closets from top to bottom.

In retrospect, I would keep anything you really like inside some sort of secondary container in the closet and brush everything before returning it. Any stains or food on clothes should be promptly cleaned off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cedar closets

I have been told recently that the only way to depend on a cedar closet is for it to be almost an air tight seal. I like the ideal of the lavender scented moth balls. I think I will give it a go with the wal mart seal up bags. Thanks for all the advice.
Cosmo:idea:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some dry clean to prevent moths--and even then only once a season, a season being autumn/winter or spring/summer. Others dry clean on if they have a spot, and then the cleaning should be only spot-cleaning and don't have them press the suit as most use a machine and don't know how to hand press properly. Also, sponging may be better than spot-cleaning, but if all else fails, ...

If you brush your suit, Kent double-side being the best, after every wear, hang and air out at least 24 hours, rotate, make sure there are no stains, then the experts whom I have been reading suggest that is all you may need to do before storage in a cotton bag.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Before and after storage I like to hang them up outside on a clear sunny day to "take in the sun". This should help kill any eggs. Also dry cleaning works but it should not be done often. I also brush before putting into storage or closet. I used to use moth balls but they smell to strong for the closet maybe for storage but if you got a hot date make sure you dry clean your coat to get rid of the smell beforehand.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Cedar planking has at best a salutary effectiveness. However, the mere act of a new installation, taking care to seal all edges decreases hding places. It is also a delightfull smell matching the pleasures of the wardrobe. Moths hate light. If you install a small light at the base, ie an LED or other safe source it will also discourage entry by the mature breeders.
Pungeant pipe tobacco, left exposed on a shelf has a good reputation for repelling adults.
If you wish to use an indoor insecticide, find a true organic pyrethrin compound ( Pyrethrin is an organic plant derivative, Pyrethrin it's synthetic counterpart) in a true water base. Most will be oil based with the bulk compound an unamed 'synergist.' The oil serves to keep the application on surfaces and can stain clothing. the 'synergist' is usually an unamed organophosphate like Dursban.
Pyrethrin alone is only dangerous to insects, small amphibians and fish. the synergist compound can make you, pets and children sick.
An application will last @ 8 hours, enough for periodic sweeps of your home.

·
Site Creator
11,746 Posts
Hello all, I have amassed a small fortune in wool suits and harris tweed jackets.I need to know if I need to worry about mothproofing my clothing room. If I do, what is the modern way of going about it and have any of you done this?
Cosmo:drunken_smilie:
There are lots of tips in the Sweaters Chapter of The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes. And it's only serious after you loose a suit!

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you buy clothes from Ebay, from a thrift shop, or similar avenue, send it to the dry cleaner as soon as it arrives at your house. I do this sometimes even when I've bought something brand new on EBay, just to be sure I get any mothly buggers. Otherwise, I keep a moth scent hanger at the far corner of the hanger rack -- far enough away that I don't notice any smell (I've got a big closet). Plus, in several places in our house, we have moth traps (kitchen and some closets). Finally, have an exterminator come through and do a general spraying throughout the house once a year. Altogether, a good defense should help keep moths away.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
exterminator

As a matter of fact I do have an exterminator come once a month. As far as I know he sprays a genral pestside that doesnt focous in on any particular species. I wonder if that is applicable for moths and silverfish or do they need a particular chemical.
Cosmo:pic12337:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.