Men's Clothing Forums banner

Are Braces in or out of fashion

Tags
braces
31K views 56 replies 30 participants last post by  El_Abogado 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I see loads of Topman shops with braces on jeans but don't see many guys wearing them outside. Is anyone buying these braces ?

I want to buy a pair but don't want to be the only one out there wearing them, not that I am worried about being different I just find it strange that they have so many in the shops and I never see anyone wearing them.

Any of you out there got braces and do you wear them?

I wear a pair of braces with my formal suit but they are the old fashion button ones and a bit too wide, just that the trousers had the buttons and no belt loops so I had to go with the braces. I think the skinny ones with jeans look good and I wanted to buy a pair to try them out but don't want to waste my money on something that is going out of fashion. Cheers.

#2 ·
While others will certainly disagree, I believe braces will always be in when it comes to suits and the standard for black and white tie. Braces, when worn under a jacket, will most likely never be seen anyway, and braces can allow a suit to drape better and thus help a gentlemen look his best.

When it comes to casual wear, I believe the opposite holds true, especially for men under 50. Braces have not been worn instead of belts with khaki's and jeans for years (at least in public), and, in my observation, are very "out".

A final thought, should you choose to wear suspenders, make sure they are not the clip-on type, and that you do not also wear a belt!

#4 ·
Hi Guys,

I see loads of Topman shops with braces on jeans but don't see many guys wearing them outside. Is anyone buying these braces ?
Maybe suspenders with jeans have a wider following in the UK, but in the US I tend to associate that look with construction workers, plumbers, farm workers, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It's just I generally don't see people walking down the street in "fashion" jeans paired with suspenders.

#5 ·
He probably is under 50 if he shops at Topman.

I don't like the look of braces in this manner. I understand it's Ska, rudeboy and skin head roots and I don't think it's a good look.

While others will certainly disagree, I believe braces will always be in when it comes to suits and the standard for black and white tie. Braces, when worn under a jacket, will most likely never be seen anyway, and braces can allow a suit to drape better and thus help a gentlemen look his best.

When it comes to casual wear, I believe the opposite holds true, especially for men under 50. Braces have not been worn instead of belts with khaki's and jeans for years (at least in public), and, in my observation, are very "out".

A final thought, should you choose to wear suspenders, make sure they are not the clip-on type, and that you do not also wear a belt!

#8 ·
There are a few guys at the office who wear suspenders. They get no guff and I think it looks good. Unfortunately, they wear them with suit pants that have belt loops. Suspenders are one of those bits of flair that go better with an understated suit. I wouldn't wear them in addition to a bow tie and matching pocket square, for instance.

#9 ·
In London wearing thin ('skinny') clip on braces with jeans and t-shirts or shirts is in fashion for the cool indi kids. I have seen it in the West End, but more particularly in Shoreditch and Dalston (hipster areas of London), always worn with very skinny jeans only. I have seen a couple of women wearing this look too.

It is certainly not fashionable amongst the non indi kids (or probably much outside London), e.g those that wear tracksuits or the Essex boys who wear standard dark jeans and tight shirts for a night out in town on a Friday. I rarely see a skinhead, but when I have they are usually wearing thin clip on braces.

As for braces with suits, it is not exactly in fashion in my view, but a timeless part of dressing well. I wear button braces every day with my suits.

Sean

#11 ·
I have no idea if braces are "in" at the moment, fashion really isn't something I follow anymore, but for the majority of people in the UK seeing guys wearing braces with jeans will more than likely bring to mind images of skinheads, bovver boys and football hooligans in DM's and bomber jackets (even more so with the trouble at Millwall in the week). I suppose as always, if you like it and think you can pull off the look, then go for it, only you can be the ultimate judge and only you know how your peers and fellows will react. If you do go for it then the more mod look would be the best way, dessie boots, fred perry and a pork pie would be best (dont forget the parka!) and this is probably what is in fashon at the moment. It's been about 20 years since the last time it was in so it's due for a resurgence. If you do go for it make sure you post a pic so some of us can reminisce.

Rob.

#13 ·
The key to this question is . . .

. . . that it is jeans OP is asking about. Of course, the "other" key is that he is located in UK. Although Topman has a US presence, any trend advice from here is pretty irrelevant, I should think, given that Topman is an extremely youth-oriented and hence trendy purveyor.

I just sat through two fashion vids on the Topman UK site, and I saw nary a single surly model sporting "braces" of any kind - at least not visibly. Significantly, every single jeans-wearing model had an untucked shirt - sometimes more than one - which would preclude the wearing of braces. Oh, I suppose they could be worn under the shirt, but what's the point?

The young men who wear Topman garments do not need "braces" to keep their jeans up. Wearing them is strictly a fashion statement. I also assume that what is meant is what I would call "suspenders" with clips for attachment, rather than buttons. I would consider it pretty ludicrous for jeans to have braces buttons sewn onto them, but who knows? That may be the next "big thing."

It seems to me that OP has answered his own question. If Topman's mannequins have "braces" attached to many of their displayed jeans, but no one is wearing them on the street, ipso facto that is a trend that has not caught on. If one likes the look and is willing to stand out, buy them, wear them, make Topman happy and rich.

As for braces in general, and not as part of a youth trend, being in danger of demise: No.

#14 ·
It's a total Pete doherty look which is a good reason to dislike it. The indie scene has produced much better style icons than him.

For example: Bowie, Ferry, Morrisey, cocker, cave......well the list is can go on and on.

In London wearing thin ('skinny') clip on braces with jeans and t-shirts or shirts is in fashion for the cool indi kids. I have seen it in the West End, but more particularly in Shoreditch and Dalston (hipster areas of London), always worn with very skinny jeans only. I have seen a couple of women wearing this look too.

It is certainly not fashionable amongst the non indi kids (or probably much outside London), e.g those that wear tracksuits or the Essex boys who wear standard dark jeans and tight shirts for a night out in town on a Friday. I rarely see a skinhead, but when I have they are usually wearing thin clip on braces.

As for braces with suits, it is not exactly in fashion in my view, but a timeless part of dressing well. I wear button braces every day with my suits.

Sean

#15 ·
BB1938: Some fashion jeans have had outer brace buttons for the last few years. They're meant to be a cute vestigial detail rather than something functional, since they are usually low rise. The original Levi's had brace buttons as standard (up until around the late '40s) and were known as "waist overalls."

#16 ·
Hi Guys,

All the hip lumber jacks are wearing bracers with their jeans.

#17 ·
Hmmmmm . . . very interesting

BB1938: Some fashion jeans have had outer brace buttons for the last few years. They're meant to be a cute vestigial detail rather than something functional, since they are usually low rise. The original Levi's had brace buttons as standard (up until around the late '40s) and were known as "waist overalls."
Do they, or did they, have belt loops?

#19 ·
Well . . .

The very first ones had no belt loops, IIRC. Later ones had both.
. . . I suppose you passed the belt over the buttons, and they couldn't be seen. Were they the same type of metal buttons with a shank that Levis used for the fly? If so, they must have been a mite uncomfortable with a belt pushing them into the waist. But, hey, those were tough men in those times:icon_smile_big:

#21 ·
op i own a few pairs of braces brought from top shop, whilst you dont see loads of people in them you do see some. bear in mind if they didnt sell top shop wouldn't stock them so i would say wear them with pride and bugger what any one says about how you look. just because no one else is doing it dosen't mean you can't you may start a thing among your friends.

#23 · (Edited)
I myself am after a pair of Kama Sutra braces. Bracemaker - any chance of getting a pair of those? Braces are wonderful with the proper pair of brace trousers, because they keep the front crease pulled up straight. It makes your legs look longer and gives the illusion of height - an effect that will never go out of date. However, all that is ruined when the viewer can actually see that they are being tricked by the illusion created by the braces. That's why you should get a decent waistcoat to ensure that never happens. And, if you can't see the braces, you can have them in any design you choose. Kama Sutra illustrations included.

BTW, I should add that I find this business of wandering around with one's braces showing to be hardly any different to the fashion of low rise jeans with the pants showing underneath.

#25 ·
braces and jeans.

op i own a few pairs of braces brought from top shop, whilst you dont see loads of people in them you do see some. bear in mind if they didnt sell top shop wouldn't stock them so i would say wear them with pride and bugger what any one says about how you look. just because no one else is doing it dosen't mean you can't you may start a thing among your friends.
My thought is if you like them, wear them. I usually buy jeans one size too big and purchase 'hammer in' metal buttons to fit into the waistband for braces. Much more comfortable than a belt and keeps 'em where I want 'em! I do occsionally get positive comments and guess a lot of men would like the increased comfort if braces were not deemed to be unfashionable. Those of us who like them should wear them with pride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.