Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Not sure I would describe them as "Cool"
then again absolutely everything in America, is "cool" if its good

So maybe thay are "cool"

Hang on a mo.. you know what that means.. For the first time in my life Im Cool!!.. Thats waaaay cool dude

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It really depends on what pattern the bow tie has, what shirt, jacket, waistcoat, etc you are wearing to be able to carry it off.

Personally, something plain and understated looks dignified whilst overly patterned and 360 multi-coloured ones look clownish (especially with a matching waistcoat!) *shudders*

·
Registered
39 Posts
I personally love bow ties, but outside of the American South/Southeast, very few people wear them. This can be a good thing if you're looking to stand out, but it also thins the line between apparel and costume (like the clown comment above).

Plus being one of the only ones with a 'real' (self-tie) bow tie at a semi-formal function makes you feel pretty good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you have to ask or if you even care then you are not cool therefore your bow ties are not cool. I on the other hand couldn't care less if my ties are cool or not ipso facto they and I are cool. :pic12337:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
There is NOTHING cool about bowties.

That doesn't stop them from being awesome. I wear a few myself, here and there. Most are from Beauties of Vermont.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think they are cool (in addition to being awesome of course). I'm not a professor either (though I hope to be one, one day) in fact, I'm 17 and receive nothing but compliments for them. Bow ties are a renaissance lately, but I don't think they'll ever go mainstream as no one knows how to tie one. To make it work:teacha: don't chose barking mad patterns and contrasts and, of course, tie it yourself (i hope that goes without sying) I would even suggest you make sure it doesn't look like a pre-tied one. You'll also need a certain degree of self-confidence;)

Fynny this was brought up today, as I've spent the first half of the day making one:icon_smile:

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you have to ask or if you even care then you are not cool therefore your bow ties are not cool. I on the other hand couldn't care less if my ties are cool or not ipso facto they and I are cool. :pic12337:
I am not gonna lie, this is probably the coolest thing I have ever read... not that you care about or need my affirmation. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Everytime I wear a bowtie I hear someone say, "Professor!"

Make sure your bowtie matches your physique unless you are making some kind of statement. A broad man in a small bowtie can look comical, as if he outgrew his clothes. Personally, I feel bowties look better on normal-thin guys, but if worn in proportion and with confidence, if they aren't too flashy or contrasting, they look good and actually lighten up people around.

It's not a great style for someone looking to have authority over others, but it's a great piece to wear if you want to come down to earth or be more welcoming.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I personally do not wear them, but that is my preference. I do not wear them because I am short in stature and I can, under certain circumstances, look younger than I am (ok if you are 50, not so much if you are 22). I feel that in my particular situation when I wear a bow tie I look like the kid whose mother went out and bought him an Easter suit/outfit to wear to church. I feel like I am 12 or younger again. Some people can pull the look off very well, and not just the older academic types. I am just not one of those people.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.