Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 141 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Hilarious comments. I donned one last year at my university. The latter groups ate it up. At 22, I should've heeded the advice from Antongiovanni in The Suit. The thing is I am tall, dark, and handsome. It didn't help any that I also have a really deep voice. Seriously, Darth Vader & James Earl Jones deep.

The only good thing that happened as a result of that cravat was I got a few numbers from cougars.:aportnoy:

I live in the South of the United States and not only "get away" with occassionally wearing an ascot but am rather good in one, such that I've received nothing but compliments, most of them from respectable older gentlemen in suits or polo shirts at bars or tobacco shops, a few from random women (younger and not remotely respectable) and none from homosexuals. If I ever receive more compliments on any ensemble from the two latter groups than from the first, then I know that I have made a sartorial error and must start the outfit over.
It should be noted, however, that I am an asshole, and this factor may contribute significantly to my ability to successfully don the ascot.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
It is certainly a clothing item that would draw attention, and mostly not in a good way. I wore one a few times many years ago with a blue blazer, but decided I needed white bucks and a yacht to complete the look.

I had the white bucks, but was missing the yacht - I still am, so I will pass.

Cheers, Jim.

· Registered
62 Posts
Interesting comments. However, I've never been laughed at when I've worn an ascot (which is about 3-4 times a year). It does take some confidence to pull it off, but it's like anything else, if you do it once, it suddenly isn't a big deal anymore. It also helps if you don't care what other people think. I don't consider myself a fop or an asshole, just a guy who likes to wear one every once in a while.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
That you know of. In other words, no one's laughed in your face about it ;)
Unfortunately, I think you may be right. One becomes the "check out Cary Grant over there in his scarf, snicker, wonder where he left his horse and buggy..." Personally, I'd love to get away with wearing an ascot once in a while, but here in the U.S., they just seem to come off as affected, and the wearer, the subject of discrete ridicule.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
I prefer the look of an ascot without a jacket (strange, as I can't stand ties w/out jackets). I also wear it with an OCBD, as it somehow feels less affected that way.

I steer clear of bold patterns, favoring a navy pin-dot. I also try to wear it in such a way that it's easy to miss at first glance.

Mostly, I wear it around the house with a shawl-collar cardigan, while grading papers.

Yes, I've worn it out on occasion. Mostly, I was just having a laugh. It wasn't worn ironically per se, but I didn't mind looking a bit eccentric. I wasn't poking fun at the clothing itself, but at myself. 99% of the time, my clothing is pretty subtle, but I will occasionally roll out an archaic item or something that smacks of dandyism. You can't take yourself too seriously.

I guess I'm on the side of those who say that ascots are a "no." If it makes you happy to wear one anyway (as it does me, on occasion) then, by all means, go for it. Just know that you may be perceived as eccentric or ridiculous. For me, that's just showing my true colors on occasion!

· Registered
1,992 Posts
I prefer the look of an ascot without a jacket (strange, as I can't stand ties w/out jackets). I also wear it with an OCBD, as it somehow feels less affected that way.

I steer clear of bold patterns, favoring a navy pin-dot. I also try to wear it in such a way that it's easy to miss at first glance.

Mostly, I wear it around the house with a shawl-collar cardigan, while grading papers.

Yes, I've worn it out on occasion. Mostly, I was just having a laugh. It wasn't worn ironically per se, but I didn't mind looking a bit eccentric. I wasn't poking fun at the clothing itself, but at myself. 99% of the time, my clothing is pretty subtle, but I will occasionally roll out an archaic item or something that smacks of dandyism. You can't take yourself too seriously.

I guess I'm on the side of those who say that ascots are a "no." If it makes you happy to wear one anyway (as it does me, on occasion) then, by all means, go for it. Just know that you may be perceived as eccentric or ridiculous. For me, that's just showing my true colors on occasion!
Prof. Knightly may be on to something. I have only worn them (day cravats) with very casual jackets (cord or tweed), but mostly when shooting skeet or sporting clays. In the first case only at intimate cocktail parties. When shooting, where tie not required, I wear one I bought in Italy that has a flying duck motif, and wear it with either a tattersall or a reproduction WW2 Willis & Geiger USAAC officers shirt, under my barbour or other shooting coats/waistcoats. Below the waist may be briar pants and leather boots, or Wellies and odd breeks depending upon the conditions.

Point being, its a casual accesory, not a substitute for a tie where a tie is required or appropriate. As such, I find wearing one with a blue blazer yacht club style to be over the top and highly associated with the negative stereotype everybody is hung up on. As is showing way too much of it by puffing it way out or unbuttoning more than the top button.

Wear one discretely with jeans, an OCBD, and a real casual non tailored jacket such as a barbour or the many cotton varieties seen at the Gap these days, as a starter kit and find your way from there.

Cheers

PS: Cant be just old guys buyiing them at JP and BB

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
A favorite is a pale yellow ascot that has a red and blue foulard type pattern. I like wearing it with my pale PINK BB PP BD, gray POW odd trousers with a sky blue over check, and navy alpaca shirt jacket.

Doesn't look bad with several of my Harris Tweed odd jackets either. There is a beautiful textural contrast between the rustic tweed and the rich colored luster of the patterned silk.

· Registered
301 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
I wore one all day on Saturday. The day was spent at a fraternity conference, followed by dinner at a 4-star Swiss restaurant. Nobody commented, although I live by the maxim that the true rebel is the young man in the tweed 3-pc suit. Except of course, the waiters who quickly ascertained I was not dining in preparation for an upcoming hockey game.

Of course, I am a pretensious dandy.

Thomas

21 - 40 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.