Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, we've seen both Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren show gentlemen wearing ascots in their advertisements.

Now, in the latest Neiman Marcus for Men catalolgue, there are pictures of models in Armani wearing scarfs with their blazers tied around the neck as if they were ascots.

So, what do you think? Are ascots making a comeback, or is this just wishful thinking on the part of a handful of designers?

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember the discussion of the ascot here years ago, and more or less the same people contributing to it now as then.

Within the last year I have stopped wearing and, further, discarded all that I own, and I consider formerly wearing them to be a mistake of mine.

I conclude humbly that in order to pass them off in public, as with much questionable clothing, for certain reasons, including the ambiguity of one's intention in wearing an ascot, the wearer needs to be considerably handsome. This perhaps seems illogical to some, but is my conclusion after observation and thought on the subject.
So you maintain that somebody must be "considerably handsome" to wear an Ascot?

Wow. And, I believe I will add Yikes as well to that theory. I could say a lot more, but I believe most will get the gist of my thoughts at this point, and I like to conserve Andy's bandwith. ;)

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you say handsome, do you mean:

clean-cut, pretty boy handsome

or

rugged, "I've seen hell" handsome?
I guess that would depend if your taste runs more toward Zac Efron or Humphrey Bogart, Scoundrel. :icon_smile:

--Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Ah ha, now I see why there has been some confusion.
An ascot and a cravat are not the same thing.

Redford, Kitchen and bloke with shooter are all wearing cravats.

I have no problem with cravats at all. A cravat is worn around the neck on the skin inside the shirt.
The title of this thread is "Are Ascots making a comeback?" NOT "Are cravats making a comeback?"

An Ascot is a large flamboyant old fashioned tie usually in silver/pale blue/grey tones worn ON the shirt ON the material like a tie & usually secured with a pin, especially at Ascot (hence its name)

Please don't mix the two up.

Ascots look awful in my opinion. Cravats look cool.
Sorry about the confusion regarding the title of my thread. I started a thread on what Americans call Ascots and Europeans call Cravats here a little over a year ago, and referred to them as Ascots. Everybody seemed to understand.

I apologize again if I caused any confusion.

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Why yes, cravats are making a comeback. Judging by the number of threads active on the topic.
Yeah, who in the Sam Hill is starting all these threads about cravats? :icon_smile_wink:

Kind Regards,

Chase

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.