Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, we've seen both Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren show gentlemen wearing ascots in their advertisements.

Now, in the latest Neiman Marcus for Men catalolgue, there are pictures of models in Armani wearing scarfs with their blazers tied around the neck as if they were ascots.

So, what do you think? Are ascots making a comeback, or is this just wishful thinking on the part of a handful of designers?

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Beyond showing them in ads (not everything in the ads ends up on the shelves in a meaningful way), what I find interesting is that several stores, including Brooks and J. Press, are stocking the things and trying to sell them. I don't know who is buying 'em and I almost never see anyone wearing one, but it is intriguing that they are being stocked.

https://www.jpressonline.com/neckwear_ascot.php

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=578

·
Registered
301 Posts
I remember the discussion of the ascot here years ago, and more or less the same people contributing to it now as then.

Within the last year I have stopped wearing and, further, discarded all that I own, and I consider formerly wearing them to be a mistake of mine.

I conclude humbly that in order to pass them off in public, as with much questionable clothing, for certain reasons, including the ambiguity of one's intention in wearing an ascot, the wearer needs to be considerably handsome. This perhaps seems illogical to some, but is my conclusion after observation and thought on the subject.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember the discussion of the ascot here years ago, and more or less the same people contributing to it now as then.

Within the last year I have stopped wearing and, further, discarded all that I own, and I consider formerly wearing them to be a mistake of mine.

I conclude humbly that in order to pass them off in public, as with much questionable clothing, for certain reasons, including the ambiguity of one's intention in wearing an ascot, the wearer needs to be considerably handsome. This perhaps seems illogical to some, but is my conclusion after observation and thought on the subject.
So you maintain that somebody must be "considerably handsome" to wear an Ascot?

Wow. And, I believe I will add Yikes as well to that theory. I could say a lot more, but I believe most will get the gist of my thoughts at this point, and I like to conserve Andy's bandwith. ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you say handsome, do you mean:

clean-cut, pretty boy handsome

or

rugged, "I've seen hell" handsome?
I guess that would depend if your taste runs more toward Zac Efron or Humphrey Bogart, Scoundrel. :icon_smile:

--Chase

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here in FL i would feel stupid wearing one, but not in south america or parts of europe
Which part of South American? Certainly not in Brazil (where I've lived) - you'd be shot on sight if you were spotted wearing one... :)
On the other hand, I sometimes see someone wearing them here in Oxford (UK). But they are still VERY rare, and the people I've seen wearing them don't seem to be particularly style-conscious.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is an ambiguity here apparently; the English day cravat, what is under discussion, has the different name of 'ascot' in the United States, and rather than resting over it rests under the shirt. The above picture shows what in the United States is called a cravat.

Rather than define 'passing something off' as it is in my mind, and further explain my reasoning I will retract my advice, as it were. It was a hesitant maxim that I intended more for help than dispute and based on observations and thoughts that were nonscientific.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hope so!

I have one on deck just waiting.
Actually I am just waiting to wear it regardless of whether it comes back in style or not.
It takes [email protected] to wear one at a public event or function!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in the South of the United States and not only "get away" with occassionally wearing an ascot but am rather good in one, such that I've received nothing but compliments, most of them from respectable older gentlemen in suits or polo shirts at bars or tobacco shops, a few from random women (younger and not remotely respectable) and none from homosexuals. If I ever receive more compliments on any ensemble from the two latter groups than from the first, then I know that I have made a sartorial error and must start the outfit over.
It should be noted, however, that I am an asshole, and this factor may contribute significantly to my ability to successfully don the ascot.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.