Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From TuroTailor.com-

Evening tailcoat (white tie)
A white tie event is the most formal of all occasions and an evening tailcoat is worn at degree conferments, weddings and banquets. A dark suit, but not a dinner jacket, may be worn instead of a tailcoat.National costume may also be worn instead.
The tailcoat facing is made of silk and the dress trousers feature silk side bands. The waistcoat should be visible 1-2 cm below the jacket.

Does everyone have their pitchforks and torches yet?:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sweet mercy. Absolutely unimaginable... how could you say that instead of a tailcoat, a dark-- not even just a black-- suit is acceptable?! And yes, the waistcoat should show two inches below the jacket front... in 1812!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, recall: we aren't brought up with this any more (for the most part), and so the internet, which has made all sources appear equally reliable (if you recall looking at the BB website, too, they have the waistcoat extended beyond the tailcoat front, so even one of THE "authorities" has it wrong!), so I'm not surprised that people might believe it.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Sweet mercy. Absolutely unimaginable... how could you say that instead of a tailcoat, a dark-- not even just a black-- suit is acceptable?! And yes, the waistcoat should show two inches below the jacket front... in 1812!
If you reread the line, it says 1-2 cm not inches. 2 cm is less than an inch.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
It's wrong, yes, but 1-2 centimeters is a lot better than 1-2 inches!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
For the record, it is more correct for someone who did not own a dress coat to wear a dinner jacket instead. It is not incorrect to mix black and white tie:

Likewise, a lounge suit is sometimes substituted in an emergency for a dinner jacket.
I once had a Nichol's of Regent Street tailcoat made in 1919 (named and dated inside) for my great uncle. I was 15 and it fitted me perfectly. But i lacked the kind of engagements at that age. It was amazing. Now it would be so small id be surprized if 1-2 feet of waistcoat didnt stick out the bottom.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Of course the problem is that modern men's trousers are cut to sit lower than the waist, and men by nature wear them even lower, which means the waistcoat is cut longer to cover it,. With consequently little or no chance of the tailcoat covering the waistcoat....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.