Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just wondering if any of the fine members of this distinguished forum happened to use a Parker Jotter ballpoint pen? I have a particular affection for these pens as they were the only ones my father would use. I have seen that they have updated many features of the pens and I am not sure I like the new models as well. I am in the process of collecting the previous generations just for my personal use.

Such an iconic writing utensil that transcended classes and was a small island of useful art in otherwise drab daily life.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
I do not use them (I'm pretty much a Lamy user these days), but they are a classic pen to be sure.

You are correct that they are different than your father's pen. They're much lighter, in part because the interior mechanism of the old pen, which was brass, is now plastic. Also different factories and so on; if you get one of the premium Jotters, it may be made in France (many are made in China), so that's something to have a look at. I would buy them from Jetpens.com rather than off Amazon: I kind of like this one in Chelsea Orange, and as you can see it's made in France (https://www.jetpens.com/Parker-Jotter-Ballpoint-Pen-Chelsea-Orange-Medium-Point/pd/18740).

If you want one with the brass mechanism, you're looking at vintage, probably 30-40 years old, at least (I'm sure a moment of Googling will reveal plenty of info on vintage models).

DH

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
How quaint...sitting down and putting pen to paper, communicating with others through the written word, uniquely in the script of one's own hand. Jeez, Louise...and I had the arrogance to think that I was the last to practice the lost art of sitting at my old roll top desk, penning a letter to loved one's and other associates and sending the missive via snail mail. It is good to know that there are others so afflicted...I mean, inclined! LOL.

Alas, my preferred accomplice for participating in what some might consider such arcane communications practices are vintage fountain pens, not vintage at the time of original purchase, but arguably so at this point in my life. However, as opined by member Dhaller, in the opening line of his post, the ballpoint I carry with me on a daily basis is a Zebra F-701 design and sometimes a fine tipped Sharpie pen, of stainless steel construction. Though I feel compelled to admit, Sir, that your post has stirred somes deep seated and, yes, troubling urges to start yet another collection of items from yesteryear! ;)

· Registered
21 Posts
I do not use them (I'm pretty much a Lamy user these days), but they are a classic pen to be sure.

You are correct that they are different than your father's pen. They're much lighter, in part because the interior mechanism of the old pen, which was brass, is now plastic. Also different factories and so on; if you get one of the premium Jotters, it may be made in France (many are made in China), so that's something to have a look at. I would buy them from Jetpens.com rather than off Amazon: I kind of like this one in Chelsea Orange, and as you can see it's made in France (https://www.jetpens.com/Parker-Jotter-Ballpoint-Pen-Chelsea-Orange-Medium-Point/pd/18740).

If you want one with the brass mechanism, you're looking at vintage, probably 30-40 years old, at least (I'm sure a moment of Googling will reveal plenty of info on vintage models).

DH
I wish I wouldn't have seen this...just order a set off eBay. Will see if is as advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.