Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
If so...can you give a quick review and maybe a pic or two? Seriously considering ordering this one.
https://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-17831f-unlined-leisure-handsewn-brown-chromexcel/
Less than one month ago I purchased this shoe from The Shoe Mart. (Mine are factory seconds.)

It is my third pair of LHS's but my first that are unlined. From looking at your posts you may be one fellow who owns more higher end shoes than myself. But I cannot recall if I have seen you with a pair of LHS's.

The Van last is a roomy last, right behind the Barrie in roominess. As Long as you are aware of the fit of the Van last I would have no reservations about picking up this shoe.

The only qualification I would make is that, being as how it is unlined, it does fit slightly more roomy than my other Alden LHS's. The leather is almost butter soft, so much so that they would work very well without socks if that is your thing. Off the top of my head the leather does not look like I will be using polish on them, more like Bickmore Bick 4 and/or Lexol. Obviously a more casual shoe to be worn with Khakis or denim.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great info! I do have a pair of 986’s so I’m familiar with that last. I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I did size down 1/2 due to them being unlined. Sockless is the plan. Anxious to get them!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Thanks for the great info! I do have a pair of 986's so I'm familiar with that last. I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I did size down 1/2 due to them being unlined. Sockless is the plan. Anxious to get them!
Years ago I purchased an unlined pair of Alden's LHS in Whiskey hued shell cordovan and did not find it necessary to size down. In fact a half size smaller would have proven to be uncomfortably tight. I do hope your sizing strategy works out for you and that you may long wear those CxL beauties and may you do so only in good health! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
You might consider same size but narrower width, particularly since the chromexel (sp?) is very supple as someone mentioned earlier and unlined. I have a pair of lined lhs in CXL that I ordered from LeatherSoul a few years ago and, with fairly regular wear, they have stretched out significantly more that any of my shell lhs’s - even my unlined pair from BB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.