Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look to finally splurge (because this is about the most I'll ever pay for a watch) and have decided upon these 2. Of course the Grand Seiko SBGW001 is nice too. (But the price isn't)

Anyone own both? I will more than likely wear it with a suit. But also perhaps with dress shirt and slacks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'd go for the SCVS -- black hands against the white dial are the classic dress watch look and easily readable in any light. The SARB is nice too, but I find silver hands on a white dial disappear in low light conditions and make it difficult to tell the time.

Just my opinion,
AD

·
Registered
17 Posts
SARB031

I currently own the SARB031. The pictures on the net don't do it justice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I think the SARB is much nicer looking and more classically styled. It is probably more suited for dress wear that the SCVS. The domed crystal looks absolutely beautiful in person. Alphadelta is probably right that the SCVS greater readability under low light conditions, but I've never had a problem seeing the hands. I might also suggest taking a look at the SARB035. The pictures on the net don't do it justice either. That watch comes with an nice bracelet and you can always swap it out for a leather strap.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've never seen the SARB in person but it looks AWFULLY nice. I've even posted questions about it recently. If it's anything other posters make it out to be its going to be a very worthwhile use of 400 bucks - I've never seen anything nearly as classy for that little. I want to buy one myself. If, as you stated, you won't likely buy too many more watches in your life I'd go ahead and grab this one - it'll be worth it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am also a happy owner of a SARB029 (black face version of the 031). Very accurate watch and the attention to detail in the design is impressive.

It's understated, which was the whole intent in purchasing that over one of the larger Swiss automatics.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa, guys. We're all getting our Japan-only Seiko automatics from the same little onesie-twosie guy on the Net whose site is on-again/off-again due to health issues. I am indebted to Seiya-san for doing what he's doing, but let's face facts -- this is not a robust distribution channel.

So rather than talk up these $400 Seikos you pretty much can't get anywhere else unless you have a buddy in Japan, how about we exercise some self-interested restraint? Especially if you're planning on adding another to your collection.

Let me start the ball rolling, and you fellow Seiko owners can jump in anytime. I own two of these watches, and to be charitable, they are merely adequate timekeepers. Sadly, they were not made in beautiful, wealthy, assuredly neutral Switzerland by lovely naked women -- rather, they're cranked out by robots on an assembly line in the bowels of some Japanese industrial park spewing toxic bile into the river that mournfully trudges along behind the factory.

Whenever I wear one of my Seikos, I lose that promotion that was up for grabs to another guy wearing a Rolex/Tag/Omega/Breitling/Swatch/Timex/Mickey Mouse/Casio/Nike/Mattel. Whenever I wear my Seiko to a bar, the women take one downward glance at my wrist, openly laugh, and then immediately engage in loud public sex with all of the other men in the establishment, all of whom are wearing either the aforementioned watches or even no watch at all. You heard me right -- these Seikos are so pathetic, they actually send out more negative cues about your shrinky dink mojo lack than not wearing any watch at all.

I am currently under investigation by the IRS because of my Seiko. Long story. Also, my hair's starting to fall out in clumps in the shower. Not sure why. But I do know it started when I began wearing a Seiko.

I look at these other guys scoring the great jobs and the beautiful young women and I think yeah but they paid too much for what are actually quite mediocre watches, while I paid a very reasonable sum for an incredibly well-made watch with a state-of-the-art automatic movement and the kind of classic, understated looks which are all too rare these days, even among the biggest names in horology. But it's hard to feel good about any of this when your life is falling down around your ears and strangers are coming up to you and kicking you in the shins for no apparent reason except they hate your watch and by extension you.

So to you who are intrigued by these Seikos, I say abandon all hope, ye who email Seiya-san for a price quote. It's too late for me, but you still have a chance! Run, you fools! RUN!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa, guys. We're all getting our Japan-only Seiko automatics from the same little onesie-twosie guy on the Net whose site is on-again/off-again due to health issues. I am indebted to Seiya-san for doing what he's doing, but let's face facts -- this is not a robust distribution channel.

So rather than talk up these $400 Seikos you pretty much can't get anywhere else unless you have a buddy in Japan, how about we exercise some self-interested restraint? Especially if you're planning on adding another to your collection.

Let me start the ball rolling, and you fellow Seiko owners can jump in anytime. I own two of these watches, and to be charitable, they are merely adequate timekeepers. Sadly, they were not made in beautiful, wealthy, assuredly neutral Switzerland by lovely naked women -- rather, they're cranked out by robots on an assembly line in the bowels of some Japanese industrial park spewing toxic bile into the river that mournfully trudges along behind the factory.

Whenever I wear one of my Seikos, I lose that promotion that was up for grabs to another guy wearing a Rolex/Tag/Omega/Breitling/Swatch/Timex/Mickey Mouse/Casio/Nike/Mattel. Whenever I wear my Seiko to a bar, the women take one downward glance at my wrist, openly laugh, and then immediately engage in loud public sex with all of the other men in the establishment, all of whom are wearing either the aforementioned watches or even no watch at all. You heard me right -- these Seikos are so pathetic, they actually send out more negative cues about your shrinky dink mojo lack than not wearing any watch at all.

I am currently under investigation by the IRS because of my Seiko. Long story. Also, my hair's starting to fall out in clumps in the shower. Not sure why. But I do know it started when I began wearing a Seiko.

I look at these other guys scoring the great jobs and the beautiful young women and I think yeah but they paid too much for what are actually quite mediocre watches, while I paid a very reasonable sum for an incredibly well-made watch with a state-of-the-art automatic movement and the kind of classic, understated looks which are all too rare these days, even among the biggest names in horology. But it's hard to feel good about any of this when your life is falling down around your ears and strangers are coming up to you and kicking you in the shins for no apparent reason except they hate your watch and by extension you.

So to you who are intrigued by these Seikos, I say abandon all hope, ye who email Seiya-san for a price quote. It's too late for me, but you still have a chance! Run, you fools! RUN!
WTF are you talking about?

No one that buys a $400 dollar Seiko is pretending to complete with those who wear Rolex or anything else for that matter. They are simply making a smart choice on a simple, dependable, affordable watch.

If it makes you feel better, keep believing you're not getting lucky because of your watch. I can think of a few other reasons.

·
Registered
83 Posts
WTF are you talking about?

No one that buys a $400 dollar Seiko is pretending to complete with those who wear Rolex or anything else for that matter. They are simply making a smart choice on a simple, dependable, affordable watch.

If it makes you feel better, keep believing you're not getting lucky because of your watch. I can think of a few other reasons.
I think you missed the point...

In any case, to the original poster: I have a SVCS (003) from Seiya -- love it, great watch. My only regret is I bought it before the SARB031 became available, and have decided the SARB is a more beautiful watch. Think I'll get one soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seiko Autos

I think it was meant to be satirical.

The Seikos (automatic, Japan only) have a great price to quality ratio. All automatics are merely adaquate timekeepers in the sense that any quartz is more accurate, but for most people, not enough to matter. If your in to automatics it is because of the craftsmanship--they are amazing pieces of engineering and art in my view. There are only a few ways to get them, but they're not hard to get. Seiya is one source. Higuchi-inc is another. I've bought from both and had great experiences and I've heard great things from others.

That said, I think these watches will be appreciated even more as the era conspicuous consumption winds down. I have a couple of high-end Swiss watches and a couple of the nicer japanese/auto Seikos. The Seikos' finishing and styling is excellent (even at the $400 range) and they seem to be bulletproof. I also know that, in a few years time, it won't cost me arm and a leg to have them serviced, unlike my swiss watches.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"I also know that, in a few years time, it won't cost me arm and a leg to have them serviced, unlike my swiss watches."

Yes it will. Servicing cost for a Swiss automatic (ETA, Omega, Rolex, etc.) will be about the same as a Seiko mechanical. Most of the cost is labor, not parts. There's not much difference in a watchmaker's time between brands (complications excepted).

AD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Servicing

"I also know that, in a few years time, it won't cost me arm and a leg to have them serviced, unlike my swiss watches."

Yes it will. Servicing cost for a Swiss automatic (ETA, Omega, Rolex, etc.) will be about the same as a Seiko mechanical. Most of the cost is labor, not parts. There's not much difference in a watchmaker's time between brands (complications excepted).

AD
Right . . .and mechanics certified to work on Mercedes (whether at the dealership or not) charge the same as the guys in the neighborhood garage? It is easy to find a guy that works on a basic ETA movement. But what about other brands? Heck, the liability alone of working on expensive watches would justify a higher price. If you prefer to use the swiss manufacturer or one of the shops in their network (like taking your car to the dealer), they tend to charge much more. Beyond higher labor costs, parts can add up, especially with some swiss brands that keep tight reign on the parts supplies out there, especially on their newer watches.

And I suspect, putting the price of parts and premiums for special training aside, that you could get charged more simply because it is easier to sell a higher price based on the value of the watch. Let's say you are in the business of servicing watches. A guy walks in with a swiss watch worth thousands of dollars and says he needs it serviced. Do you quote him the same price as the guy that walks in with a modest Seiko? Who do you think is more likely to part with his money?

Of course, if you have a trusted guy who charges a reasonable price, by all means use him. They are a dying breed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just to clarify the issue of cost-of-ownership, when I used to send my IWCs in for repair or for the recommended yearly overhaul, the tab was never less than $500. This went for both a GST chrono and a Mark XII.

I dropped one of my Seiko autos recently onto a marble floor and the watch stopped keeping good time. Sent it to Seiko US for full overhaul, including new movement. The tab was $85. Prior to that, I hadn't had a problem with either of my Seikos for 3 years and others have reported going 5 years or more between overhauls.

So it does not cost the same to repair or maintain a luxury brand Swiss watch and one of these Seiko autos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.