Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, I just got them in, they are nice and wear well, I really like the removable innersole which adds comfort when wearing thinner socks and can be removed for larger ones.

The only downside is that the leather is very soft, one of the toe caps of mine came with a slight dent in it I am guessing due to how they were packaged or what not, however with how I wear shoes that is nothing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi John, I just got them in, they are nice and wear well, I really like the removable innersole which adds comfort when wearing thinner socks and can be removed for larger ones.

The only downside is that the leather is very soft, one of the toe caps of mine came with a slight dent in it I am guessing due to how they were packaged or what not, however with how I wear shoes that is nothing.
Did you get it in your normal shoe size? I got the Cliftons and I normally wear a 9.5D but on the Cliftons I probably should go to a 9D. I wanted to get the Commuter also.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
They are very casual (I'm sure you recognize that). I wouldn't wear them for work (even "casual" Fridays). I have a pair of $59 AE's that I got at a prior tent sale I wear for casual and/or bad weather days, expecting I could just jettison them when they got all gross (salt stained, etc...). Strangely enough, they're so durable they're going on their 3rd season, and still look great.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^Ditto on the durability of the AE uber-bargains. Just over seven year ago I picked up a pair of AE Heydon's at a tent sale at their Port Washington, WI, facility. The shoe, looking like a 'gunboat series' edition of a camp moc, cost me $59 and after being pressed in service under the worst weather conditions occurring in the interim, are showing virtually no signs of wearing out. A good brushing, a bit of leather conditioner and a coat of shoe polish, has them looking almost new again! I am a fan. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
They are very casual (I'm sure you recognize that). I wouldn't wear them for work (even "casual" Fridays). I have a pair of $59 AE's that I got at a prior tent sale I wear for casual and/or bad weather days, expecting I could just jettison them when they got all gross (salt stained, etc...). Strangely enough, they're so durable they're going on their 3rd season, and still look great.
Is it because of the rubber sole? Sometimes, not too often, I go to our manufucaturing plants and it would be better to have rubber soles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good to know, I just got rid of a pair of eccos. They were wingtips, and extremely comfortable. They were rubber soled and just wore out.

They were also somewhat soft in the toe, and would show dents easily.

Are these as comparable, comfort wise?

Jack

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luckily for me I work in a field where these are considered dressy :) most people in my new company wear sneakers to work which is kinda scary.

As for the shoes, they are very comparable to Eccos, and ironically I just replaced a pair of Eccos with them (actually keeping both for when the weather gets bad)

Like you the rubber soles on the Eccos I have are wearing thin, but the AE soles seem much thicker. I think the one negative I have with the Commuters is that the leather is just really soft, I wonder if eventually they will look like a pair of slippers or something.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get it in your normal shoe size? I got the Cliftons and I normally wear a 9.5D but on the Cliftons I probably should go to a 9D. I wanted to get the Commuter also.
You know, I was told when I went to the Freeport AE factory store that I was either a 10.5eee or an 11D, however every time I opt for the smaller size I regret it as I can feel one toe hit the front of the shoe....so I went with the 11 Ds which I consider my standard size.

If I keep the innersole in then they seem about right, if not just a bit tight but figure they will stretch, and this is with really thin socks.

If I lose the innersole then they seem pretty roomy and large.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.