Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Have heard that cashmere is a bad choice as it doesn't last long...wondering if ther is a brand that is good? thanks
Pure cashmere will show wear earlier but a wool/cashmere blend can give good wear and be lighter and warmer than pure wool. Wool/cashmere is very nice for overcoats and topcoats that get more use. Pure cashmere is better for outer garments that don't get as much wear, like your evening formal or semi-formal overcoat.

·
Vendor
1,736 Posts
Cashmere is not as durable as a wool cashmere blend and the blend is not as durable as a hard worsted. Overcoats normally do not get the hard wear that one gives to ones suits and sports jackets. For most individuals overcoats will show wear at the collar (coat comes in contact with your neck) and the sleeves ( sleeves get constant friction). I have my customers make their sleeve length about 3/8" on the long side. After a couple of years you can shorten the sleeves the 3/8" and the coat will still be like new.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
210 Posts
Overcoats normally do not get the hard wear that one gives to ones suits and sports jackets.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
Please allow me to disagree, Paul. You are the pro, but I am the commuter. What I notice people doing with their coats in cars, trains, busses, airplanes, etc. is unbelievable. They are tossed around, folded in cramped carryons, used as pillows, blankets or laptop support.
People tie them to luggage with the sleeves dragging (or sometimes even caught) in escalators. I never saw suits being abused so.
(In the past, I was attracted to nice looking luggage. Today I feel it's a crime bringing any good suitcase or briefcases with me. These may work for city lawyers, but not commuters).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have both a black wool/cash blend and a camel hair (in camel). I absolutely love the camel hair. If anyone is set on a pure cashmere overcoat I think STP has some HSM cashmere overcoats on sale at a good price. Also I stopped by Filene's this weekend and they have a sale on the same HSM cashmere overcoats - ONLY $495 - and they are fantastic. But alas they did not have my size.

Here is my camel hair -

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I purchased a wool Prada overcoat for £390 in the sales, down from £625 about two years ago.

So far so good - get compliments, good fit, and durable too especially when using the London underground. The only down-side, not working cuffs.

Cashmere would be good for formal occasions; however, not ideal for everyday situations unless you do not mind owning several coats and replacing them sooner.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Cashmere....uuuummmmmmmmm.......

This is an excellent idea!
He usually tends to disregard all previous conversation and post the same things in the same subjects every time.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Cashmere is not as durable as a wool cashmere blend and the blend is not as durable as a hard worsted. Overcoats normally do not get the hard wear that one gives to ones suits and sports jackets. For most individuals overcoats will show wear at the collar (coat comes in contact with your neck) and the sleeves ( sleeves get constant friction). I have my customers make their sleeve length about 3/8" on the long side. After a couple of years you can shorten the sleeves the 3/8" and the coat will still be like new.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
For a wool/cashmere blend, what would you say is the oiptimum level of casmere?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I have a dozen or so of vintage cashmere (and vicuña) overcoats that are all over 50 years old. They show almost no wear. Any garment will of course wear out, but I haven't seen any undue wear problems with cashmere overcoats.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I have a dozen or so of vintage cashmere (and vicuña) overcoats that are all over 50 years old. They show almost no wear. Any garment will of course wear out, but I haven't seen any undue wear problems with cashmere overcoats.
Sounds nice. How often do they get warn?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I'd be happy to discuss all that in PM, my friend. For now, taking potshots at me in hopes that I'll flame you and "show my true colours" isn't going to work.

57 Posts
I have a 50/50 cashmere/wool which i purchased about 4 year ago and have worn extensively. It has been durable, warm and soft to the touch, so i feel this would be a good way to go. A fair amount of the softness and warmth of cashmere plus the durability of wool, at a fraction of the cost of pure cashmere.

My next overcoat will hopefully be a camel hair similar to DorianGrey.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.