Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Harrods have sent me their Nov/Dec magazine - great looking dinner suit, black chalk stripe SUIT and coat available in the Tom Ford section of their store.

There is only a limited range available in the UK but I do like most of his range, although it is over-priced. They wanted £519 for the basic trousers and polo-shirts that were ON SALE FOR £350 (RRP £599).

They have an absolutely gorgeous silk robes for £2800 (if only I was made of money).

From what I have read about his MTM service, not the best customer service, which is shame because of the money they expect people to part with. However, this was a review was short after the store opened, maybe the service as improved.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harrods have sent me their Nov/Dec magazine - great looking dinner suit, black chalk stripe SUIT and coat available in the Tom Ford section of their store.

There is only a limited range available in the UK but I do like most of his range, although it is over-priced. They wanted £519 for the basic trousers and polo-shirts that were ON SALE FOR £350 (RRP £599).

They have an absolutely gorgeous silk robes for £2800 (if only I was made of money).

From what I have read about his MTM service, not the best customer service, which is shame because of the money they expect people to part with. However, this was a review was short after the store opened, maybe the service as improved.
I also read that review. I'm looking for something on the more conservative end of his design. For a modern business suit -

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I also read that review. I'm looking for something on the more conservative end of his design. For a modern business suit -
I read that review too, and it sounded more like the service was horribly inconsistent rather than uniformly awful.

Generally, I'm not one to get sticker shock. It happened about ten years ago with Ralph Lauren Purple Label, and now it's happened again with Tom Ford. A $3000 suit I can understand, and $1000 shoes and $200 ties. But the $450 polo shirt leaves me scratching my head.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Personal Opinion - The main advantage I see to Tom Ford is his design. The suits have been described as well made, and I believe that. However, much of the price comes from his name and design, and if you are looking for a conservative business suit then you are not going to get the advantage of his design, and your left paying for a name. I would also suggest finding a great maker in NYC, of which there are many, and paying less to get what you want.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personal Opinion - The main advantage I see to Tom Ford is his design. The suits have been described as well made, and I believe that. However, much of the price comes from his name and design, and if you are looking for a conservative business suit then you are not going to get the advantage of his design, and your left paying for a name. I would also suggest finding a great maker in NYC, of which there are many, and paying less to get what you want.
I should be more clear. I don't want a typical conservative business suit. I want a suit that is on the conservative end of Tom Ford's suits. I very much like many of the suits I've seen Tom wear lately & the ones featured on Daniel Craig in the recent Men's Vogue. I think you can find an optimal point where the suit is conservative enough to wear for business yet very modern/tailored/beautiful. My gut is that I can find this @ TF based on what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think his suits can be worn as business wear and look the part, still look great when going out for formal ocassions. If you want the TF cut, go to Tom Ford. People do not go to Henry Poole to get a Anderson & Sheppard soft-tailoring style suit, they go to A&S.

AvariceBespoke, the best thing to do is try on some off-the-shelf TF suits, they may fit you well and they may be little benefit of going the MTM route.

·
Registered
356 Posts
From your second description that does sound like Tom Ford's aesthetic. As I previously mentioned I've heard they have very nice construction, so if that is the case and the aesthetic is good, then go for it.

I'm sure they will work hard to please you there, the name is big coming out of Gucci and with some reputation work to do, I'm sure they will go out of their way to make people happy, or would hope so at least.

Go in and try to see if you can see some examples of finished made to measure garments either waiting for pick up or images on customers, this always helps as well and shows your serious.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From your second description that does sound like Tom Ford's aesthetic. As I previously mentioned I've heard they have very nice construction, so if that is the case and the aesthetic is good, then go for it.

I'm sure they will work hard to please you there, the name is big coming out of Gucci and with some reputation work to do, I'm sure they will go out of their way to make people happy, or would hope so at least.

Go in and try to see if you can see some examples of finished made to measure garments either waiting for pick up or images on customers, this always helps as well and shows your serious.
very helpful thank u

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
An early article I read, which may have been in Men's Vogue or Travel & Leisure, mentioned that the reporter came in a coupel of days early to check out the store and was effectively ignored. Apparently no one recognized him when they were effusive with their attention the day of the interview.

If they think they can judge their potential clientele solely on what they're wearing, they're mistaken. A man who wears $10,000 suits to work every day might not wear one the day he goes shopping for another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.