Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the unpleasantness in the air, I for one am thrilled that the NHL kicks off tomorrow in Prague with my beloved, and new look Blueshirts hitting the ice against the mulleted-one's Tampa Bay Lightning.

I think this year is going to be exciting all over the league. The Hawks look like a real playoff team now, the Rangers have a very new look (jury is still out on that one, but i for one will miss Sean Avery), Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin (my favorite player BY FAR in the league) will be a year older and a year better, and Dallas may very well push Detroit to the limit for the best team in the West. Also, with the newly acquired grittiness in Colorado, their games against Detroit may be bloodbaths again.

The East is wide-open again this year, but I see Montreal, Philadelphia, and the Rangers all pushing for that top spot. In the West its Detroit, Dallas, and Anaheim (maybe San Jose if they get scoring - maybe Chicago if they can gel) in the top three.

My center ice package is warmed up and ready to go, as are my season tickets at MSG (sec 402-with the real fans who drink beer and eat hot dogs, not wine and sushi!)! Lets Go Rangers!

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
As a Predators fan I would like to be excited, but after losing our best young player, Alexander Radulov, to the Russians and having our best player, Steve Sullivan, still out indefinitely with his back problem, it looks like it might be a long year. :mad:

Cruiser

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rangers? I don't see them as much more than a 6-8 seed. The Pens are looking better than last year. They lost Malone and Hossa, but have Gill and Eaton added to the D which should cut down on shots. Satan and Fedentenko have been playing with Sid and should see the back of the net quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rangers? I don't see them as much more than a 6-8 seed. The Pens are looking better than last year. They lost Malone and Hossa, but have Gill and Eaton added to the D which should cut down on shots. Satan and Fedentenko have been playing with Sid and should see the back of the net quite a bit.
Hak Gill is about as useful on defense as Derien Hatcher...they're both traffic cones who have to commit penalties just to keep up...you guys got him at the deadline last year, and Bettman wanted the Pens and Cindy in the playoffs, so he got away with it...this year will be different.

Losing Hossa and Malone will hurt more than you might think...especially Malone (and the young lads you traded for Hossa). Lucky to have re-signed Orpick though, I like him for team USA 2010 in Vancouver and would have loved him over Redden in a blueshirt.

As far as Eaton, Satan, and Fedotenko, they're all Islander rejects...and if you look at that squad you have to try not to heave. I watched them both for much of last year, and while Satan always killed the Rangers he and Fedotenko were below average at best on the Isle last year. I think the Pens are in for a rude awakening, and Crosby in for a rough ride whenever they play the Flyers and Rangers for Cindy's diving in the playoffs last year.

Cruiser, I feel for ya, Radulov looked great in the playoffs the last two years...I remember him having a great two goal performance against the Sharks I believe where he single handedly changed the game.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hak Gill is about as useful on defense as Derien Hatcher...they're both traffic cones who have to commit penalties just to keep up...you guys got him at the deadline last year, and Bettman wanted the Pens and Cindy in the playoffs, so he got away with it...this year will be different.

Losing Hossa and Malone will hurt more than you might think...especially Malone (and the young lads you traded for Hossa). Lucky to have re-signed Orpick though, I like him for team USA 2010 in Vancouver and would have loved him over Redden in a blueshirt.

As far as Eaton, Satan, and Fedotenko, they're all Islander rejects...and if you look at that squad you have to try not to heave. I watched them both for much of last year, and while Satan always killed the Rangers he and Fedotenko were below average at best on the Isle last year. I think the Pens are in for a rude awakening, and Crosby in for a rough ride whenever they play the Flyers and Rangers for Cindy's diving in the playoffs last year.

Cruiser, I feel for ya, Radulov looked great in the playoffs the last two years...I remember him having a great two goal performance against the Sharks I believe where he single handedly changed the game.
Gill proved himself last year as a very effective dman and a well above average penalty killer. Shots were down with him in the lineup. Islander rejects? This is a different organization. The Islanders are a losing organization with a joke of a GM. Eaton is a very good dman and never played for the Islanders anyway. Satan aside from last year is a 20 goal scorer every year, and he will most likely have Sid setting him up. Fedotenko isn't as good, but will be a contributor.

Crosby didn't dive last year. Those who make those claims are usually jealous Philly fans who don't know the game. The Flyers and the Rangers got steamrolled by the Pens. It wasn't even that enjoyable to watch.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gill proved himself last year as a very effective dman and a well above average penalty killer. Shots were down with him in the lineup. Islander rejects? This is a different organization. The Islanders are a losing organization with a joke of a GM. Eaton is a very good dman and never played for the Islanders anyway. Satan aside from last year is a 20 goal scorer every year, and he will most likely have Sid setting him up. Fedotenko isn't as good, but will be a contributor.

Crosby didn't dive last year. Those who make those claims are usually jealous Philly fans who don't know the game. The Flyers and the Rangers got steamrolled by the Pens. It wasn't even that enjoyable to watch.
I've played the game my whole life, Crosby goes down like a cheap hooker whenever someone goes near him. He also throws his head back anytime someone tries to initiate physical contact be it with a glove, stcik, or shoulder.

As far as getting steamrolled...the Pens were down 3 goals in game one, came back to win by a goal. Game 5 was won in overtime, and game 3 at the Garden was tied until Hollwegg took a stupid penalty in the third. So really, the Rangers were a few bounces away from winning the series...hardly steamrolled.

As far as Hal Gil, just wait and see. He is in no way quick enough to survive in the new NHL, and commits a penalty on every shift. Imagine if he played against Crosby, Cindy would be on his back half the game.

Satan is getting old, he's no Hossa, not even close.

The one thing I do give the Pens is the factthat Crosby and Malkin are two of the leagues best players...Crosby when he stays on his skates, and Malkin when he wants to play. I also like Whitney. I really do think Fleury is overrated (as is Lunqvist). Ty Conklin played goal for much of last season. The kids not the real deal. Also, without Gonchar for 6 months you don't have the PP guy that Cindy and Malkin need to feed them the puck, unless Whitney is ready to be that guy, but I think he's too aggressive in the offensive zone, especially when he plays with Crosby.

This sign got a lot of attention at the Garden for Game 4...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.