Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is going to Woodbury Commons this weekend and has asked me if there's anything she can pick up for me while she's there. I've never been to Woodbury, so I looked up the store list and gave her some general instructions.

Just wanted to see if anyone had been there fairly recently and had any tips on what to look out for and which stores to hit/avoid?

One other question: how is the Loro Piana store there? I've been debating picking up a Martingala coat sometime this year, any chance of finding one there at below retail?

Thanks gents, much obliged.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's completely hit or miss. I've had great days there, and days when I couldn't find a thing to buy.

Brooks -- it's mostly 346 (outlet specific) merchandise, but you can find some 1818 (retail quality) mixed in. 346 isn't bad, as long as you pay a good price and know what you're getting into.

Polo -- Same thing, but their outlet specific stuff isn't labeled differently. Most of the items that have a full rack of something will be outlet specific, and I'd avoid this. The price isn't that great, and the quality / cut are different from regular Polo. Try to look on the mixed racks of clearance stuff, that's where you'll find the hidden gems.

Off 5th / Last Call Neiman's are completely hit or miss.

Haven't been to the Loro Piana store yet.

It's really hard to send someone there on a specific mission. It's more of getting lucky and finding a good item at a good price.

I advise her to go either early or late, avoid the tourist bus traffic that tends to be bad between noonish - 4pm.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Commons

My friend

Ghurka has left there. There is a I believe Pink, or Tyrwitt there. Neiman Marcus was great for my son, lot of Lorenzini, Brioni and other stuff.
Polo was very good as well.
Ascot Chang has left also

Nice day

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make sure to go to the Ralph Lauren store (as opposed to the Polo one). The former has a good staff and great values from the actual RL stores. The Polo one is largely junk and stuff manufactured for the outlet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I believe Ghurka still is there, though they've moved. I think they're somewhere behind Armani Exchange now.

The new Ralph Lauren store is alright, very sparsely filled last time I was there with not much of a mens section. Seemed like a lot of black label.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree very hit or miss. Lately, seems to be geared towards tourists visiting NYC, and taking advantage of the weak dollar. The last time I was there the prices were higher and there were bus loads of Japanese tourists from NYC hotels buying everything in sight. I have had luck at the Tods store on several occasions.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
When my kids were in college my wife would take them to Woodbury to shop. The map they give "visitors" lists the other locations where they have outlets. With so many outlets how can so many people think there can be enough first run merchandise to fill those stores without making merchandise to sell at the "lower" prices. Can it be that their " first run merchandise" prices are so inflated that they still make a full mark-up when they mark it down ? It is possible to find a nugget if you are very selective.
Paul Winston
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
499 Posts
I agree very hit or miss. Lately, seems to be geared towards tourists visiting NYC, and taking advantage of the weak dollar. The last time I was there the prices were higher and there were bus loads of Japanese tourists from NYC hotels buying everything in sight. I have had luck at the Tods store on several occasions.
Oh completely. The PA system must have announcements in 5 different languages. A friend of mine has family in Japan, they actually advertise vacations based on shopping trips to Woodbury.

That's why I suggest early or late, avoiding the bus traffic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gents,
Ask Andy consensus wins again! My wife spent hours walking nearly the entire store, and found precisely nothing for me! She commented that most prices weren't particularly great and that selection in small sizes (small, 30 waist, 38 suit) was uniformly thin (pardon the pun).

Oh well, I'm in Chicago now, hopefully Thanksgiving proves more fruitful.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sadly Lads,

I live but a mere 30 minutes away and every now and then forget how painful the last trip was. Having said that I would not be truthful if I said my wife had to drag me out every now and then. As has been discussed already it only take that one magical find to make it worth it..

J-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.