Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,301 Posts
I believe HF are now owned by Samuelsohn. There are some on this forum who may disagree with me on this, but I think HF are as good or maybe even slightly better than they were. Samuelsohn is well established and has a good name in the Classic Menswear realm. I have recently been considering ordering something from HF just to try them out nowadays...

For reference, I recently took delivery of a Samuelsohn sport coat and trousers. Everything was exemplary.

Cheers!

· Registered
525 Posts
Hickey Freeman has undergone many changes over the years.
Does anyone have recent experience with HF suits that they can share?
As Watchman pointed out, they are owned by Samuelson. Most of their off the rack tailored clothing is made in Canada. The Rochester facility handles MTM and orders for other brands (O’Connell’s and J Press).

From what I hear, their clothing made in Canada is just as good as the stuff they make in Rochester. Some would argue the Canadian made ones are better.

I have three Hickey Freeman Suits and three of their sport coats. All excellent quality. All made in Rochester and fully canvassed. My oldest stuff from them is from 2010 and is still going strong. Their jackets feel like second skins.

Their house style is the “Beacon” which is soft shoulder, two button, darted, double center jackets with flat front trousers. It’s a tailored look neither boxy nor slim fit.

I wish they made their own version of a fully canvassed natural shoulder 3/2 undarted, hook vent jackets in an Ivy Style. They clearly can make them for O’Connell’s and J Press.

I highly recommend them.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Watchman pointed out, they are owned by Samuelson. Most of their off the rack tailored clothing is made in Canada. The Rochester facility handles MTM and orders for other brands (O’Connell’s and J Press).

From what I hear, their clothing made in Canada is just as good as the stuff they make in Rochester. Some would argue the Canadian made ones are better.

I have three Hickey Freeman Suits and three of their sport coats. All excellent quality. All made in Rochester and fully canvassed. My oldest stuff from them is from 2010 and is still going strong. Their jackets feel like second skins.

Their house style is the “Beacon” which is soft shoulder, two button, darted, double center jackets with flat front trousers. It’s a tailored look neither boxy nor slim fit.

I wish they made their own version of a fully canvassed natural shoulder 3/2 undarted, hook vent jackets in an Ivy Style. They clearly can make them for O’Connell’s and J Press.

I highly recommend them.
Very helpful.
Thank you.

· Registered
1,218 Posts
I was surprised to see the "Made in Canada" label on my MTM HF suit from Nordys two years ago. The suit is was still of very fine quality though I'd rather pay a premium for the Made in USA label. The Nordys saleman kind of sucked though so I didn't go back for another one last year.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have very recently purchased both OTR garments from HF and Samuelsohn as well as MTM from HF. They really are still top-of-the-heap in their relative prices ranges.

I expect Hickey to be really good and it has not disappointed. Samuelsohn has been a pleasant surprise. Excellent fabrics and a perfect fit for someone who is on the trimmer side.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both brands for tailored clothing.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have very recently purchased both OTR garments from HF and Samuelsohn as well as MTM from HF. They really are still top-of-the-heap in their relative prices ranges.

I expect Hickey to be really good and it has not disappointed. Samuelsohn has been a pleasant surprise. Excellent fabrics and a perfect fit for someone who is on the trimmer side.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both brands for tailored clothing.
Thanks MattB83

1 - 10 of 10 Posts