Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the many forms of serious music that I enjoy, as a solo instrument, I really love the organ, and also a wonderful radio program on the "king of instruments" called Pipedreams. While the solo piano is great, and you do get to observe the performer while at an organ recital you really don't, the different temperments and voicing of instruments makes the organ a wonderful instrument to hear.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Big in France.

Any Lovers of the Organ Here?

YES, count me in Joe, truly 'The King of Intstruments', when I was exploring classical music and available LPs years ago, I kept turning over reams of record covers, French Organ music vol 11780 to infinity, it was endless wall to wall organ recordings from France.

If the French were not writing it, Andrew Gide, Saint Saens, (Symphony No 3, with one of the greatest melodies in the history of the world), Tournemiere, who can take your brain away just when you think you're thinking about other stuff and Messian more recently, they also make great recordings of other peoples compositions, I heard some Bach played by Clare Alain from some provincial church in France, absolutely awesome, had me wishing for surround sound with a dummy set of pedals and dummy keyboard with stops attached to my desk.

F.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I know that some of our forum regulars are gay men, so I can't stop giggling at your subject line...

Taking it more literally - I always enjoyed hearing concerts on the Wanamaker Organ, which at one time was the world's largest. The John Wanamaker Store in Philadelphia is also the home of the world's largest ringable bell.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any Lovers of the Organ Here?

YES, count me in Joe, truly 'The King of Intstruments', when I was exploring classical music and available LPs years ago, I kept turning over reams of record covers, French Organ music vol 11780 to infinity, it was endless wall to wall organ recordings from France.

If the French were not writing it, Andrew Gide, Saint Saens, (Symphony No 3, with one of the greatest melodies in the history of the world), Tournemiere, who can take your brain away just when you think you're thinking about other stuff and Messian more recently, they also make great recordings of other peoples compositions, I heard some Bach played by Clare Alain from some provincial church in France, absolutely awesome, had me wishing for surround sound with a dummy set of pedals and dummy keyboard with stops attached to my desk.

F.
Franko,

Your city, London, is a great place to hear organ music. It makes for a wonderful Sunday afternoon catching organ concerts between 3 and 5 PM anytime of the year except summer. The only problem is which to catch and which to miss.

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
The organ is a fantastic instrument when played well and a real joy to watch if you ever get chance to go up in an organ loft. A very goof friend of mine Christian Wilson who was a Westminster Abbey Chorister too, is a ridiculously talented organist and plays all over the World, so if you get chance to see him he is definitely worth the time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The organ is a fantastic instrument when played well and a real joy to watch if you ever get chance to go up in an organ loft. A very goof friend of mine Christian Wilson who was a Westminster Abbey Chorister too, is a ridiculously talented organist and plays all over the World, so if you get chance to see him he is definitely worth the time.
Of course, the organ is "The King of Instruments" but the one problem is that you actually don't see what the performer is doing, as with a piano or violin recital, but the sound is out of this world. I have said many times, and I think I am right, if only people who love "crazy out of control" music would listen to some classical music they would see that it is the most challenging, wild, insane, thrilling music you could ever possibly hope to hear. The organ played well is an out of this world experience, but people stunted by pop music never have a chance to take it to a higher level, and they miss out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.