Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious question to you guys.
Are there ever periods where you feel uninspired OR is there any time in which you feel indifferent towards clothing/ wearing nice things?
I have felt like this for the past 2 or 3 days remaining uninspired and not caring about what i put on. I just started to dress like i should, maybe that's the problem.
Does anyone have advice for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The thing that separates clothing from any other passion or hobby, such as playing the piano or painting or blogging, is that clothing is an essential part of life. How could one ever get tired of doing something that is necessary? You cannot quit clothing, so why not make the most out of the inevitable? As a matter of fact, I think we should put the most time and energy into doing the necessities of life more than any other sole thing. After all, passions and hobbies of an extracurricular nature seem so frivolous compared to the basic, more important facets of life.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing that separates clothing from any other passion or hobby, such as playing the piano or painting or blogging, is that clothing is an essential part of life. How could one ever get tired of doing something that is necessary? You cannot quit clothing, so why not make the most out of the inevitable? As a matter of fact, I think we should put the most time and energy into doing the necessities of life more than any other sole thing. After all, extracurricular passions of an extracurricular nature seem so frivolous compared to the basic, more important parts of life.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm saying that, after being fervent about my dress, I feel as if I no longer care. I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
For jobs where I must wear a suit every day, it gets a bit boring. But I still buy "play suits" or suits designed exclusively for the lounge or travel. The trick is to accumulate enough fine wear that it no longer becomes a rigid routine of charcoal and navy. Plaids, lighter colours, casual suits for Fridays, if your organization allows.

Never assume that just because you needn't wear a suit, you mustn't.

Thomas

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Are there ever periods where you feel uninspired OR is there any time in which you feel indifferent towards clothing
At the risk of bringing the wrath of the entire community down on me, I can honestly say that clothing in general does not "inspire" me. Don't get me wrong, I want to look nice when I put on a suit, sport coat, or blazer and I definitely pay attention to fit and matching things; but it isn't something that I revel in.

I enjoy reading this forum for the same reason that I read several other forums addressing a variety of interests, I enjoy gathering knowledge and exchanging ideas. But at the end of the day, or should I say the beginning, I will generally put on my solid charcoal or navy suit, or my navy blazer, or a tweed sport coat with a pair of grey, navy, black or tan pants and a white, blue, or grey shirt. Not very inspiring but also hard to mess up. I guess one could say my wardrobe is functional if nothing more.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think one needs to be inspired in order to look nice. Every day doesn't have to be a fashion show. Clean, pressed, well fitting clothes that match will still have most of the world thinking that you are a sharp dressed man, to borrow a phrase from ZZTopp. Then when you get your inspiration back, take it up a notch. But even if you never do, you can still look good. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Are there ever periods where you feel uninspired OR is there any time in which you feel indifferent towards clothing/ wearing nice things?
I have felt like this for the past 2 or 3 days remaining uninspired and not caring about what i put on. I just started to dress like i should, maybe that's the problem.
Possilby you are just a little depressed about something. I would not be too concerned as long as your mood goes back to normal in a few days.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the risk of bringing the wrath of the entire community down on me, I can honestly say that clothing in general does not "inspire" me. Don't get me wrong, I want to look nice when I put on a suit, sport coat, or blazer and I definitely pay attention to fit and matching things; but it isn't something that I revel in.

I enjoy reading this forum for the same reason that I read several other forums addressing a variety of interests, I enjoy gathering knowledge and exchanging ideas. But at the end of the day, or should I say the beginning, I will generally put on my solid charcoal or navy suit, or my navy blazer, or a tweed sport coat with a pair of grey, navy, black or tan pants and a white, blue, or grey shirt. Not very inspiring but also hard to mess up. I guess one could say my wardrobe is functional if nothing more.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think one needs to be inspired in order to look nice. Every day doesn't have to be a fashion show. Clean, pressed, well fitting clothes that match will still have most of the world thinking that you are a sharp dressed man, to borrow a phrase from ZZTopp. Then when you get your inspiration back, take it up a notch. But even if you never do, you can still look good. :icon_smile:

Cruiser
Well, style is usually one thing that really excites me. I can't even look at a Herringbone blazer without wanting to make an outfit for it. I thank God that He made me one to be excited when it's time to get dressed-to see what I'm going to put on.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Alas, we experience highs and lows, in virtually every aspect of our lives. Each is a very necessary part of the mix, for if we never experienced the low points, we could mot appropriately appreciate the high points. Try to look upon the present lull in the action/interest level in clothing as an opportunity to recharge your batteries (and your wallet/charge cards), so as to maximize the extent and impact of your next moment of 'sartorial inspiration!' ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alas, we experience highs and lows, in virtually every aspect of our lives. Each is a very necessary part of the mix, for if we never experienced the low points, we could mot appropriately appreciate the high points. Try to look upon the present lull in the action/interest level in clothing as an opportunity to recharge your batteries (and your wallet/charge cards), so as to maximize the extent and impact of your next moment of 'sartorial inspiration!' ;)
Thanks to you guys for everything as it's very appreciated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, I have days like that, normally when I have something on my mind. Because I actually need to look reasonable at work I have an invariable rule on such occasions. I wear a charcoal sharkskin suit, a white shirt and the loudest tie I can manage to look at. I clean my shoes. That way I know I won't totally screw up. If I'm out in the evening I wear a blue shirt, stone-coloured trousers and a blue jacket. When I get home I put on my oldest and most bedraggled jeans, an old shirt and casual shoes.

That way I don't have to worry about my appearance when there are other, more important, things going on. It usually passes within 3 days.

Hope you're ok - give yourself a break :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, men. I believe that I've come to the cause of this feeling- or lack thereof. Last year, for a period of about 2 months, i was depressed. I often had periods, both days and full weeks, when I would feel apathetic and numb to everything. There was a situation on Friday afternoon which very seriously upset me and I feel as though those feelings from so long ago are resurfacing. Hopefully I can get over it very quickly and get back to my normal life. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Only briefly while experiencing situational depression. :(

Other than a good SSRI :rolleyes:, consider why you might wish to dress well. Do you feel you must? Is it fun? Does it bore you? IMO, if you can't have fun and enjoy it, it is more likely to become boring and a chore. Most of us don't enjoy what we feel are boring chores.

For me, trying to dress well has been a pleasure and passion since I was about 12 years old, which means I've enjoyed for a very long time. It kicked in shortly after my interest in young ladies reached an entirely new level. I'm sure a shrink could probably explain that connection, but why spoil the fun! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only briefly while experiencing situational depression. :(

Other than a good SSRI :rolleyes:, consider why you might wish to dress well. Do you feel you must? Is it fun? Does it bore you? IMO, if you can't have fun and enjoy it, it is more likely to become boring and a chore. Most of us don't enjoy what we feel are boring chores.

For me, trying to dress well has been a pleasure and passion since I was about 12 years old, which means I've enjoyed for a very long time. It kicked in shortly after my interest in young ladies reached an entirely new level. I'm sure a shrink could probably explain that connection, but why spoil the fun! :icon_smile_big:
I definitely do not feel that I must dress well. It is so fun to dress well, it's like I'm excited by it for a minute and then, with no reason, the feeling ceases. I don't mean to equate my girlfriend with clothing but, when I was falling in love with her, I felt the exact same way. I'm not entirely sure what that means, though.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Well, style is usually one thing that really excites me. I can't even look at a Herringbone blazer without wanting to make an outfit for it. I thank God that He made me one to be excited when it's time to get dressed-to see what I'm going to put on.
So it seems that we all go through these periods in our lives weather it be a passion for sports, working out or food. Sometimes you need a break. When I feel that way towards my dress I usually pull out a favorite jacket slack or a navy suit and solid color shirt. Put on a safe outfit and you can go throughout the day looking good evenif you don't have the passion for it at that point. It all comes back.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I normally get interested in a subject, like for example sartorial excellence. Then it gets more and more interesting as I acquire more knowledge about it. To be interested in clothes, however, is not only connected to what you are wearing, it is also connected to an interest in collecting knowledge about it, reading books about it, etc.

I get really interested in things for periods of time. Then I get bored, and usually take a break from it for some time. After some months my interest normally "pops up" again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.