4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few thoughts on my quest for MTM/bespoke shirts. Here is my history:

1)Went to a local retailor/tailor here in San Francisco
2)Jazenten in Hong Kong
3)Tried Kilgours on their visits to USA
4)Mosst recently used Anto in LA

Here's what happened.
1)My local shirtmaker made me shirts almost identical to a RTW shirt-not a good fit and what in hindsight I have determined is poor construction. No matter what I did/said, I ended up with ill-fitting shirts. I think, but am not certain, that he farmed it out to someone. At $250 each, I dropped him quickly.

2)For the money, this is the most economical. Got a better fit here than from my local shirtmaker. But still, fabric and fit are similar to RTW. I want the real deal.

3)At roughly $250 per shirt, with Kilgours I ended up with nice fabrics but only marginally better fit than with the previous two experiences. When one person took my measurements on one trip, and another person made adjustments on a subsequent trip, and so on--I knew that the final product would be suspect. The Kilgour experience, however, taught me that a tailor is a tailor and not a shirtmaker. Never again will I have shirts made by anybody but a shirtmaker.

4)Anto Shirtmakers--what can I say? This place is the real deal. On entering the shop I am surrounded by layers of fabrics, and am greeted by Ken, the son of Anto, who has worked with me through the entire process. All the work is done on-site. And above all, Ken is serious about his work--he has a sincere desire to see that I am happy. After an initial fitting, I went back two weeks later, some adjustments (with pins!) were done, and thereafter I recieved my sample shirt in the mail. I have now worn it over a three week period and numeous washings, and both fabric/fit exceed anything from my previous experiences. When in LA next week I will be returning to Anto's for Ken to take one final look at the sample shirt before I have my order filled. For the first time I think I know how a bespoke shirt should fit.

So my advice is simple. If you want a bespoke shirt, go to a bespoke shirtmaker. It took me three failures to figure that out!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.