Men's Clothing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen-

As some of you may know already, my great aunt passed away this past week. She was my grandmother's last remaining sibling, and when she passed she left me her father's two shaving razors. He was a barber and moved here at age 21 in 1892 from Italy. His untimely death came when my grandmother was only 8, in 1927.

Now, I have these two razors that are in pretty bad shape, and would like to get them refurbished and maybe even will get me to start shaving! One is labelled "Manganese Steel" and "Wester & Bros Anchor Brand?". The other is also Anchor Brand and engraved "A Bragna & L Clinco" "200 Grand St M I Germ"(any).

Do any of you know anything about these? They are definetly from before 1927, and I'd bet closer to the turn of the century. I also was wondering if there was someplace I can bring them to be refurbished. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gentlemen-

As some of you may know already, my great aunt passed away this past week. She was my grandmother's last remaining sibling, and when she passed she left me her father's two shaving razors. He was a barber and moved here at age 21 in 1892 from Italy. His untimely death came when my grandmother was only 8, in 1927.

Now, I have these two razors that are in pretty bad shape, and would like to get them refurbished and maybe even will get me to start shaving! One is labelled "Manganese Steel" and "Wester & Bros Anchor Brand?". The other is also Anchor Brand and engraved "A Bragna & L Clinco" "200 Grand St M I Germ"(any).

Do any of you know anything about these? They are definetly from before 1927, and I'd bet closer to the turn of the century. I also was wondering if there was someplace I can bring them to be refurbished. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Hi - try this site - some of the forum members seem to offer this service :-

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Good luck. It would be interesting and different to see you smooth as a baby's bottom. :icon_smile_big: On top of that, it'll be a great family heirloom. Maybe you can pass it on to your kids and make it a family tradition?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
rg, I'm really glad that you posted this because it reminded me of an old straight razor that was given to me years ago by one of my former in-laws after a death in the family. I put it away and never thought about it again, but after reading your post I dug it out and looked at it closer.

On the razor itself it says M&M & Co. but a quick Google search turned up nothing on that. On the blade it says Jacques LeCoultre Au Sentier, Switzerland. From what a quick search has revealed, Jacques LeCoultre is the LeCoultre of the Jaeger-LeCoultre watch company. This would appear to date the blade to the 1800's since that is when LeCoultre joined forces with Jaeger to form the new company. Of course I'm just guessing at this.

Again, thanks for jogging my memory on this particular item. I likely would have never thought about it again.

Cruiser

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would consider talking to a barber that still uses straight razors. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VERY COOL. Thank you very much. I have found through the NY City Directories that my great grandfather worked near where NYU Hosp is today on the east side, and then moved to Coney Island where he owned his own shop (have the actual working and barber permit with his photo from 1926.

He dropped dead of a heart attack on a balmy July day (July 6 to be precise) in 1927, while working in his barbershop. So the heirlooms I inherited most likely were the last worldly things he grasped in his hands that fateful day.

I can't help but be thankful for the sacrifice he made coming here at 21, with $10 and 2 bags in his possession in 1892. He came here so that I, and my daughter, can live a better life, and he toiled govong shaves and cutting hair 7 days a week. On Sundays he closed shop in the early afternoon so he could eat family dinner with my grandmother and her brothers and sisters, and passed that work ethic on to their generation. Whenever I feel lazy, or feel like staying in bed in the morning, I think of him, and what he gave up...his home, his leisure, and ultimately his life...so that I would not have to, and have a better life than he did. These razors mean more to me than anything else I own. I can't wait to have them fixed.

I plan on going to a place locally first, and asking their opinion. I'd rather not let them out of my possession, but if I have to will send them away for a proper clean up. Thanks for the tips guys, and Cazonieri, thanks for the info. Ciao!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Old straightrazors are like old knives and for that matter, any vintage item.
The first impulse is to clean, oil, polish and any number of 'love it to death' efforts after it's been sitting around for decades.
The @ date of your razors predate 'stainless steel' which is merely a high crome alloy. At this point, your blades probably have developed a patina from exposure to shaving soaps that has created a natural protective finish much like bluing on a firearm.
The second component are the scales, or handle material. These can be anything from bone, ivory, cellulose, horn to name some common ones.A metal oil or cleaning past may damge the scales.
Until you get credible help for a restoration, simply keep them wiped down with a clean, dry flannel cloth. Our fingerprints are terribly acidic and in the right conditions leave ugly rust calling cards within a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts