Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first one very recently. I am short, so when I wear trousers made for braces, the back blade of the tie is much longer than the front. I simply tuck the back blade in. Unfortunately, the front blade will sometimes move significantly to one side, exposing my plan. I had hoped to use the tie bar to keep the front blade in place (tucking keeps the back blade where it should be). I hadn't thought this through well, though. When I went to put on my brand new bar for this purpose this morning, the geometry of my problem became clear. I would have to put the tie bar around both blades of the tie as well as the appropriate part of the shirt.

Should a tie bar be able to accommodate this? Do people mostly place them below where the back blade is?

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps the one I acquired is too tight to allow this.

One additional question: Although mine is pretty nice, the edges are a little sharp (the edges that do not touch the tie if all goes right). How does one avoid harming the tie in this process (both because of the sharp edges and more generally because you are wedging your tie together)?

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight. I won't get into the deep question whether one can avoid harming a tie "in this process" by not undertaking the process at all.

The bar doesn't seem different from others I have seen. Is this just something you get used to doing--cramming a valued article of clothing between two pieces of metal?

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Sorry, I'm not a big tie clip fan, but it seems that most of them I saw when I was a kid opened up enough to easily clip the tie (both blades, etc.)

Another thing some guys do is put the back end of the tie through its keeper and clip only the back end to the shirt. This keeps the tie in place, but obviously, if you want people to see the clip, that won't do.

I suggested another clip because I figured this would not be a problem for most clips.

I can see where my post was a bit flippant; I should have been more tactful.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
forsbergacct2000: And I can see how my question was stupid.

Mr. Pipps: I am pretty committed to four-in-hand. I probably will continue the quest for a bar that works better. When I find out that doesn't help for some other reason, I'll be back.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I can see where the first one you bought - you just figured it would work. (I would have done the same thing. A tie clip is supposed to clip a tie, after all and I would have assumed it would work if I were in your situation.)

I guess maybe you'll just need to check the next clip out more before you buy it. (I would not have expected it to not work either.) Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.