Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for the link. These quotes are the dingers of the article:

Still, some items were so outrageously preppy, I felt my original odium for the style rising in my throat like bad grain-alcohol punch. A series of knit ties in bright colors, $49.50, brought to mind a tragically alcoholic dorm mate from college on his way to a football game, and a quilted patchwork tote, for $850, was something his equally blotto girlfriend would use to carry around her pumps and kegger go-cup.

and

A small glass case at the front of the store displayed vintage watchbands, belt buckles, aviators and pencils that have been chewed by the celebrated TriBeCan writer Max Blagg on sale for $25 each. Yes, that's right -chewed pencils for $25.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The article, in all its un-proofed minor glory, is amusingly enough proof that the 3-martini lunch is still popular with editors and reporters at the Times. Although to judge from the style I'm sure that the drinks were of the 12 ounce or more "apple-tini" or "chocolat-ini" variety. No decent writing can come from such adulterated beverages.

At least the folks at J. Crew got some press.

--A.Q.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The New York Times: All the news that fits, we print.

Line up now because I think this Sunday is the day for their semi-annual Men's Fashion special edition of the magazine. I can hardly wait to see what they'll come up with this year.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Since when do knit ties and patchwork madras associate with keggers? Maybe I'm just in the wrong university town, but I've never seen this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did like it, I thought the guy's uninformed views were kinda intentional (see what fashion dilettante thinks of new J.Crew).

Kinda surprised at how widespread he makes preppy/semi-trad out to be, I'm used to being the only guy in town who enjoys this thing of ours.
As someone who "summers" in the Hamptons and usually lives around 45 minutes from the NY Times' corporate office, I can tell you that this style is definitely widespread in the middle and upper-middle classes of New York.

Right now I'm in Tampa, Fl, and it seems pretty popular among the unwashed masses down here.

And I'm kidding about the "unwashed masses." :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As someone who "summers" in the Hamptons and usually lives around 45 minutes from the NY Times' corporate office, I can tell you that this style is definitely widespread in the middle and upper-middle classes of New York.

Right now I'm in Tampa, Fl, and it seems pretty popular among the unwashed masses down here.

They go to church nasty in Tampa?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Yeah, I grew up in Connecticut, and certainly remember 'prep' being popular, but not in the 'knit ties and $1200 raincoats' sense.

It's one of those things, no matter how unique you think you are there are thousands just like you, in a world of 6B people it's impossible to be an individualist.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The article is amusing and I'm sure that I would enjoy the J. Crew store. That said, I, for one, am not especially fond of the intersection of preppy/trad fashion with ironic hipster fashion. For some reason, articles like this make me think that J. Crew is leaning in that direction (along with Ralph Lauren Rugby and some of these other, newer brands with which I'm not really too familiar).

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
^ agree (I think) I hate any item of clothing worn ironically, be it a silly sloganed t-shirt or a sack suit, I still have not idea what a 'hipster' is despite seeing/hearing the word a dozen times a day.
Come to Gainesville, they're all around here especially since American Apparel opened up a couple years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.