Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I have to do it. There's more than one question, but to start off, I'm 22 and in my last year of college.

I've read through a bunch of the older threads about the topic, so I kinda have an idea on what suit I should be looking for. (NO BLACK SUITS! :p)

Its going to be, for the most part, a job/internship interview suit, but the suit might find some time at rare formal events too. So I've decided that I'll search for a charcoal, two button with a trimmer modern cut. My concern is how much money should I be spending on the suit without going overboard? I'm not rich, but I'm pretty low maintenance (usually) so I've saved up to have a pretty decent budget. I'm prepared to spend around $900-1300 on a suit. Is that over doing it? A couple people have told me I should just stick with a cheap Express or J. Crew suit, but I kinda feel differently.

Also what name should I be looking for that'll fit my preference and budget (if my budget is not too high)?

A few days ago, I stopped by a Saks 5th Ave. to get a feel for things only to be really intimidated. Decided that I had no clue what I was looking for. Would the salesmen at Saks help as far as helping you find the right suit, and measuring and fitting you for suit?

and finally, I'm a total newb at this, so any tips, advice and words of wisdom will go very far.

Thanks

· Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm prepared to spend around $900-1300 on a suit. Is that over doing it?
For your first suit, absolutely. For that much, you can get a good suit (BB, for instance), a pair of AE Park Ave's., and a handful of shirts and ties. And then have some cash left over.

But I'm sure that many here will disagree. In fact, they'll say you should save up even more to buy a nice Brioni vel sim., 'cause, you know, those interviewing you might notice. (Surely someone will parrot "dress for the job you want, not the job you have".)

For what it is worth, I wear what I consider to be good stuff. My mentor, who is independently wealthy and wears only the best, told me that it's important not to dress too nicely for interviews - you must look like you need the job.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For your first suit, absolutely. For that much, you can get a good suit (BB, for instance), a pair of AE Park Ave's., and a handful of shirts and ties. And then have some cash left over.

But I'm sure that many here will disagree. In fact, they'll say you should save up even more to buy a nice Brioni vel sim., 'cause, you know, those interviewing you might notice. (Surely someone will parrot "dress for the job you want, not the job you have".)

For what it is worth, I wear what I consider to be good stuff. My mentor, who is independently wealthy and wears only the best, told me that it's important not to dress too nicely for interviews - you must look like you need the job.
That last part pretty much hit the nail on the head. Thanks.

BB is Brooks Brother's correct? Do you suggest any other suitmakers around that level?

· Registered
2,603 Posts
If you can, wait for the Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale and get a suit for $598, that leaves you plenty of money for a pair of shoes a couple shirts and ties.

From what I've seen most stuff at Off Fifth etc is they are more exciting patterns. Although I did see a navy Hickey Freeman Madison for $5xx the other day.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Hickey Freeman is a quality made in America suit, and I found a bunch at Sak's and Nordstrom Rack.

Hart Schaffner & Marx is also a good quality suit. The rest I can't speak for.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Sprocket, for age 22 the BB's, HSM, and HF may be too boxy and big for you. For the fit you're looking for you would either have to do the Saks,NNeimans, Nordstroms lot, or try Banana Republic. I know the suits aren't the best quality, but their price (around $500) and their fit seem a perfect match. Once you get the big job, then go out and spend 1k at Saks or wherever. I find the Banana suits much better than the Express and a little more dressy than JCrews...hope this helps.

· Registered
56 Posts
If you can, wait for the Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale and get a suit for $598, that leaves you plenty of money for a pair of shoes a couple shirts and ties.

From what I've seen most stuff at Off Fifth etc is they are more exciting patterns. Although I did see a navy Hickey Freeman Madison for $5xx the other day.
Should start the day after Christmas.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Let me offer an alternative viewpoint to what has been said. I don't know what your wardrobe is like now or what kind of work you will be getting into; but if you don't have much now and think you will need more soon I wouldn't break the bank on one suit at this point in time.

There are a lot of serviceable suits out there for a lot less than $900. They might not be what most here want to wear but they will get you started. Allow a few dollars for alterations and you will look fine.

Remember, depending on where you will be working you will need more clothing than that one suit, and you will need it before you start a cash flow from your job. Sure you can charge things with a credit card, but is that how you really want to begin your career, in debt for clothing?

For example, even if you work in a business casual environment you are going to need several pairs of pants, some shirts, shoes, not to mention all of the assorted little things like belts.

And if you will be wearing a coat and tie you will need ties along with a sport coat and blazer or two, and perhaps a second suit.

My suggestion is to not let the fever cloud your judgement. Use your existing budget to put together an inexpensive, but serviceable, beginning wardrobe (not just one suit) based on what you will need when you begin work and then upgrade as you replace or add to these items. And guess what? Even wearing relatively modest priced clothing, if altered to fit you well, will probably still make you a better dressed man than many, if not most, of your co-workers.

Is there one area where you perhaps should not cut corners in the beginning? Yes. Shoes. Go ahead and get one or two pairs of good shoes now. Just my thoughts on the matter. Good luck. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

· Registered
816 Posts

Actually, I doubt many people on this forum would ever say this. There is no reason why any 22 year old college kid without a trust fund should buy a Brioni suit.
Many more people would agree with your first suggestion of BB and AE's.

· Registered
32 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I would personally stick with Brooks Brothers. They not only make their standard "boxy fit" suits but also make suits that are more tailored or slimmer cut. Really, a nice solid navy Brooks suit, white shirt, and a navy/silver or navy/white rep tie is a look that will carry any recent post-grad through any interview.

I am well-past being a recent post grad and find the quality at Brooks to be great. Granted, I am not a brand snob or pompous in any way, I just appreciate well-made and classic clothes that will last for a long time and not go out of style.

Actually, I doubt many people on this forum would ever say this. There is no reason why any 22 year old college kid without a trust fund should buy a Brioni suit.
Many more people would agree with your first suggestion of BB and AE's.

· Registered
105 Posts
I'm with the others, you can find quality without spending a ton of money. Realistically will you be wearing a suit at all for your job? If no that is a lot of money to have hanging in your closet and I think you should save some of it for work attire. I also think there is a chance you might not be entirely pleased with your first suit anyway. I know I kind of felt like I was led around by my nose by the salesman, now I feel more comfortable, know what I want, etc.

640 Posts
  • Thanks for readiung past threads instead of asking a bunch of questions that many have already asked and asnwered.
  • My $0.02:
    • Dark grey or navy solid suit from the Wizard: $260.
    • Alteration costs on your suit: $40 - $120
    • Black AE Park Avenues, Byrons, Drydens, Fairfaxes, or Moras (discontinued style or seconds) from the : $138 - $230.
    • Geting a good quality, well fit, suit with good styling suit for less than 25% of your budget, a pair of quality starter shoes, and a bunch of money still left in your pocket for shirts, neckties, dates, iPod downloads, or saving for a rainy day: pricelss

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks alot for responses; they helped alot. I decided to cut my suit budget to $500-800 (is that more reasonable?) and leave the remaining $400-700 for shirts and shoes.

I have some things to take care of today so I will be skipping out on suit shopping but I was told the Houston Galleria has a Brooks Brothers so I will probably visit them sometime next week. I'm a little bit concerned about the "boxy fit" but we'll see how it turns out. I will probably check out Banana Republic too.

Another forum I frequent suggest that Hugo Boss may be a good buy. Any thoughts?

BTW, Im not too familiar with some jargon here, but what is a "rep" tie?

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Hugo Boss, to my way of thinking, aims to be fashion-forward but ends up cheap and ugly. Brooks Brothers is your best bet.

You know something? If you told us what you do / will be doing, we might have more targeted advice.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
As has been said before, many people buy 'cheap and sober' suits just for interviews, even when those they normaly would wear are of superior quality. They key is to have the right parts for the whole kit.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hugo Boss, to my way of thinking, aims to be fashion-forward but ends up cheap and ugly. Brooks Brothers is your best bet.

You know something? If you told us what you do / will be doing, we might have more targeted advice.
I'm have one more year in colllege and looking to get a job in the mechanical engineering field. Generally we have career fairs (suit/tie required) but obviously it'll be used for a few interviews here and there.

Most engineering job sites aren't filled with guys in suit and ties...its more business casual so I understand it won't be worn too much. Might be worn at banquets and weddings though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.