Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,I've been invited to a proper black tie,which will be nice after attending one of those awful "Creative Black Tie" events.I'll be wearing my one button shawl DJ,marcella shirt with turndown collar,circular shirt studs in plain gold,hexogonal cufflinks in gold (sounds a bit odd but the difference in shapes looks great,IMHO),black silk waistcoat (low cut three button) with gold studs (I may go with black,as all that gold may be a bit much),red carnation,white linen PS,silk hose with red clocking stripe,and AE Copleys.It will be a bit chilly so I will probably break out my Chesterfield,scarf,gray gloves,and homburg.Anyone care to opine?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would suggest the black studs over gold on the waistcoat. Some would discourage the buttonhole and pocket square. I would not be one of those.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I might be inclined to give the buttonhole a miss. You're risking having too much stuff there and sacrificing some elegance, especially since you're wearing a shawl collar which is relatively relaxed/casual. You don't want to look as though you're trying too hard.

Marcella shirt -- fantastic, and I think turndown collars look by far the best with black tie, especially with a shawl collar. Again, it's understated and simple which is arguably the original point of black tie. Let the fit and your bearing do the talking.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be inclined to give the buttonhole a miss. You're risking having too much stuff there and sacrificing some elegance, especially since you're wearing a shawl collar which is relatively relaxed/casual. You don't want to look as though you're trying too hard.

Marcella shirt -- fantastic, and I think turndown collars look by far the best with black tie, especially with a shawl collar. Again, it's understated and simple which is arguably the original point of black tie. Let the fit and your bearing do the talking.
Perhaps I'll omit the carnation in favor of a crimson pocket square.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.