Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andre Benjamin, one of the members of Atlanta music duo Outkast. Trad?

His new line of clothing, Benjamin Bixby, seems to be a new and interesting take-off of trad clothing, not necessarily edgier than some of Polo's odder styles, but interesting.

A quote from an interview in Esquire:

"Buy things that you love. Buy things that are never going to go out of style, and that you can wash for ten years and still have it be your favorite. And remember that the way you present yourself counts a lot."

From The Sartorialist:

https://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2008/08/on-streetandre-benjamin-florence.html

From Wikipedia, at a comics convention in a madras patchwork sportcoat:

From New York magazine:
https://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/44214/

Benjamin is a fashion autodidact: He has taken advice from Anna Wintour (who invited him to a Met gala), he has sketched the clothes himself, he has been to Italian factories and Parisian textile fairs.

It takes a certain serenity to rock the resplendent Bixby outfit he recently wore to a Fashion Week party: wide-brimmed fedora, green waistcoat, buttery brown leather riding boots ("vintage") that pushed his pants up, jodhpur style. He looked more like a wealthy, eccentric caballero than a thirties jock toff, but then, he wants the line to tell stories. Benjamin Bixby, he says, "is a character who's kind of like your uncle, or your granddad, and he has a closet full of experiences and clothes, and he's been around the world."

For those in Atlanta, he went to Sutton Middle School in Buckhead and shops at Guffey's.

Thoughts? Comments? Embarassing pictures of him during his hip-hop preppy clown era?

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm not that familiar with him, actually. He seems to have a preppy-inspired wardobe with an emphasis on GTH clothing, from what I've seen. It really does not embody the traditional Ivy or preppy look, but he may have good taste (for all I know).

· Registered
725 Posts
His style is certainly derivative of the TNSIL. More flamboyant he definitely wouldn't fit in the iTrad category.

· Registered
549 Posts
He is not trad in the sense that we know it here. He has yet to appear in a music video, or at an awards ceremony sporting a J Press sack for example.

He is trad to the extent that Tommy Hilfiger clothing is trad.

We should give him credit for presenting himself as someone who cares about his appearance. To an extent he is a role model in the hip hop music community- and if he can influence some of the inner city young to pull their pants up, tuck in their shirts and treat others with respect then we should applaud and encourage him.

His music is preaty good too !

Best,

Ross

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They went to Middle School together. In my current school district. Andre Benjamin moved to the south side near the Airport and went to Tri-Cities High, while Derek Watkins remained up here and went to North Atlanta High.

I actually watched an online episode of Bentley's reality show "From a G[angster] to a Gent." It was the end-of-season reunion episode, so I got to see clips from the entire season. Through it all, his clothing was VERY preppy and conservative, and he showed class and decorum whether dealing with Gs or Gentlemen.

I was very impressed with the contestant who came in second - he had been homeless and he was so impressed with the barbershop where they went for their makeovers that he got a job there and became an apprentice barber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.