Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to purchase something from Andover, however, I refuse to purchase anything after they made their political leanings quite clear. Every now and again, they come to the suburbs of Detroit -- an appearance sponsored by the pro-abortion group Planned Parenthood. This affiliation is always displayed in its catalogues.

I don't want this to become a political discussion, but I think it's very bad practice for a business to openly display its stance on such a controversial issue -- especially to potenitial customers in a rather conservative state.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
I don't want this to become a political discussion, but I think it's very bad practice for a business to openly display its stance on such a controversial issue -- especially to potenitial customers in a rather conservative state.
I agree. Now that you've stated your objection, let us move on. Grouchy old tradly types promoting abortion won't last very long on the fashion forum.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I have always wanted to purchase something from Andover, however, I refuse to purchase anything after they made their political leanings quite clear. Every now and again, they come to the suburbs of Detroit -- an appearance sponsored by the pro-abortion group Planned Parenthood. This affiliation is always displayed in its catalogues.
The sponsors of their remote appearances in the current catalogue are The University School Parents' Association, Friends of the Allendale School, and The Church of the Redeemer.

This charge is even more bizarre than the original comments regarding rude service. I for one would appreciate some sort of evidence.

A Google search for "Planned Parenthood" and "Andover Shop" comes up with a story from 1970 that involves the location in California that is no connection to the ones in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The sponsors of their remote appearances in the current catalogue are The University School Parents' Association, Friends of the Allendale School, and The Church of the Redeemer.

This charge is even more bizarre than the original comments regarding rude service. I for one would appreciate some sort of evidence.

A Google search for "Planned Parenthood" and "Andover Shop" comes up with a story from 1970 that involves the location in California that is no connection to the ones in Massachusetts.
Absolutely right, and I get their catalogues every year, and their "political affiliation", if there indeed is on, is Never expressed in their catalogues, unless one assumes that Massachusets is a pinko region, unlike the real America of the Detroit suburbs. Another case for moving this kind of nonsense(the post by hockeyinsider, that is) to the Interchange, where the rest of us can ignore it.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^Medwards: While we all knew it was coming, I must say, you have effected the perfect solution. Well done, Sir! :)

PS: ...and the fact remains that the only thing I personally find distressing regarding the Andover Shop, is their (astronomical) prices

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Although I know nothing of the Andover Shop, I do find myself avoiding products associated with companies that I know support ideas and viewpoints with which I disagree.

For example, I don't buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream because of that company's support of so many far left political agendas.

I stopped buying Miller Beer after the Miller Brewing Co. was bought out by Philip-Morris due to my feelings about the tobacco industry. I realize that this latter "protest" is probably silly given that Philip-Morris owns many other companies such as Nabisco, and who knows how many products I buy from companies owned by R. J. Reynolds. Perhaps the real reason is that I like Budweiser better than Miller anyway. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
hockeyinsider said:
don't want this to become a political discussion, but I think it's very bad practice for a business to openly display its stance on such a controversial issue -- especially to potenitial customers in a rather conservative state.
I agree. Now that you've stated your objection, let us move on. Grouchy old tradly types promoting abortion won't last very long on the fashion forum.
Just in case anyone else interpreted my warning as an endorsement of hockeyinsider's statement, it was not. It was a simple warning - which went unheeded - to stop. And be warned for the future that statements beginning with "I dont want this to become a political discussion, but ..." have a 99.9% chance of ending up on the Interchange as this one did.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Some companies choose to be out front and open about their support for issues such as the treatment of gays or the reproductive rights of a mother. Since this thread has been moved I will say that I know a large number of pro-choice people and not one of them is "pro-abortion". I find that term to be not only incorrect but rather offensive.

Michigan has always struck me as a state that has people from all ends of the political spectrum. You have hard left and hard right people but most of the population are regular moderates. If anything I would say that Michigan, in political elections, tends to trend slightly liberal. The last number I saw for the Presidential election has Michigan at 54 - 38 with Obama in the lead.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since this thread has been moved I will say that I know a large number of pro-choice people and not one of them is "pro-abortion". I find that term to be not only incorrect but rather offensive.
Oh, please. You might as well say, "Personally I don't think I'd own a slave, but I think it is offensive to call me 'pro-slavery' just because I don't think my understanding of morality should interfere with the rights of others." Right.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Meanwhile, back at THE THREAD....

IMHO, any private enterprise (e.g. Andover) probably has the right to endorse any cause or candidate it chooses too. I personally think it's risky and comes at a cost. To whit, your objection to Planned Parenthood.

In my experience, a growing number of people avoid or patronize companies they feel are in tune with ther beliefs and values. Bully for them! That told, however, I find it somewhat ironic that some of those same people conveniently rationalize, or gladly park, their values at the door if a 50 percent discount is at stake!

If you don't like what a company is supprting, don't patronize them. Just as it's their right to stand behind certain causes, it's your right not to buy their products.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Oh, please. You might as well say, "Personally I don't think I'd own a slave, but I think it is offensive to call me 'pro-slavery' just because I don't think my understanding of morality should interfere with the rights of others." Right.
+1. The argument I always use. I've yet to hear a defense to it (note I did not say a "good" defense).

·
Registered
148 Posts
I could say that but I wouldn't since the two are not remotely related. Besides, the last I checked abortion is legal in this country and apparently some court decided that there was a right to privacy issue involved. Slavery is illegal in this country and a vast majority of us think that is a good thing.

I see no problem with my personal decisions in regards to abortion. The court also found that a women has the right to make that choice for herself. Personally I would rather she not make that choice and as a result I support groups that promote things like sex education and adoption.

If someone doesn't agree with the choices a company makes then they should not give them their funds. Vote with the pocket book. I would say that it seems like very few people take that route.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Meanwhile, back at THE THREAD....

IMHO, any private enterprise (e.g. Andover) probably has the right to endorse any cause or candidate it chooses too. I personally think it's risky and comes at a cost. To whit, your objection to Planned Parenthood.

In my experience, a growing number of people avoid or patronize companies they feel are in tune with ther beliefs and values. Bully for them! That told, however, I find it somewhat ironic that some of those same people conveniently rationalize, or gladly park, their values at the door if a 50 percent discount is at stake!

If you don't like what a company is supprting, don't patronize them. Just as it's their right to stand behind certain causes, it's your right not to buy their products.
Well said I think. Freedom for all to endorse, support, deny or boycott as one sees fit. It is a small facet of liberty, consumer choice, but it can be one that stands for larger issues and helps people to understand why they do what they do, including ignoring principles in favor of that magical half-off discount!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.