Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of a straight collared white shirt, I recently purchased a to be ironed pinpoint on-line from BB. I assumed it would be made in the USA like their OCBD's. In fact, the cellophone package it came in said at the bottom that it was union made in the USA. Sadly, that contrasted with the "made in Malaysia" stitching in the shirt's lable. I went back to the web-site to see if I had been a victim of false advertising. To my chagrin, the only shirts on the non-non-iron shirt offerings that claimed to be made in the USA were the OCBD's. All their pinpoints were "imported". Why the wrapping carried the made in the USA and union assurance must have been a mistake. The shirt (which I have yet to remove from the wrapping) looks to have been refolded--perhaps a return that ended up in the wrong bagging. Lesson learned. If you want a BB shirt made in the USA, stick to the original OCBD's to be ironed. Curious, would members of the forum who care to respond A) send it back and go with a pinpoint made in the USA (Gitman Bros.) B) exchange it for an OCBD or C) just go with it and hope that any difference in quality would be minimal and unnoticible? I do like the BB forward point for when I'm not wearing a BD. Is their pinpoint material as good as that marked TTX? Any experience with shrinkage, etc.? BTW, I recently bought a blue BB end-on-end and went back and looked at the lable. Import as well. How long before they outsource the venerable OCBD or make it non-iron? Pardon the semi-rant...bit I know many on the forum prize garments made in the USA and you may learn from my ignorance if need be. Otherwise, I'd just be interested in hearing from respected and discriminating members of the forum on my other issues. Sorry if I got off topic at times.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Send it back with a note explaining your dissatisfaction with buying a Malaysian shirt at an American price. This is the only way they'll get the message. Buy a Gitman or a Mercer.

BTW, maybe the cellophane bag was made in the USA.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
the cellophone package it came in said at the bottom that it was union made in the USA. Sadly, that contrasted with the "made in Malaysia" stitching in the shirt's lable.
What you want to do with this is up to you, but I don't think the above practice is in compliance. Unfortunately, it would probably take considerable time and effort to learn what agency is responsible, and I suspect little would come of it since Brooks' would no doubt insist it was a one of a kind mistake, assuming the agency bothered to follow up.

I would prefer U.S. manufacture, but if the garment is otherwise desireable I would probably decide keep it anyway. Unfortunately, you may not know this for sure until you've laundered it a few times. Brooks has however been more successful than many retailers in sourcing good quality Third World manufacturing. However, the problem is the slippery slope, where quality in terms of cut, fabric and construction are all gradually compromised, so that over time you ultimately wind up with a garment that is substantially inferior to the original.

But if you insist on U.S.A. made, I'd think it entirely reasonable to return it, and shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your shirt may or may not be the equal of a shirt made in the USA.

If it really matters to you that it's made in the USA, return it and order some of their "Select" shirts. Those will be made in the USA, specifically in North Carolina.

Not all shirts made in the USA are going to be the best -- especially if the company that's doing the sewing doesn't care too much about quality control. That really is something that the company whose label is on the product should be managing (and hopefully they do a good job at it).

Do whatever makes you happiest. I think your best bet may be to return the shirt and either go with their select shirts, or go with another shirt altogether that is made in the USA (since it is obviously of concern to you)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I own a couple of the BB pinpoint Made in Malaysia shirts, and they're just okayish compared to my OCBD's, which fit extremely well and seem so much better constructed. This could be due either to the company's careful adherence to tradition (in order to serve a sharply exacting market), or simply to a better manufacture in the good old U.S. of A.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I too have had this bag problem when ordering from BB- the same pinpoints, in fact. The bags, it seems, may be relics from another era, or may be made in the USA- although I doubt by UNITE, whose name is on all of my bags. UNITE merged with HERE, however, a while ago, so these may be old bags which they had left over. That's my guess, as the shirts probably come over from Malaysia un-bagged, in boxes.

I only buy American or Western European. There are certain circumstances, however, which one cannot avoid Red China- computers or most other electronics. Oh, and when you're watching NBC for the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
try it on. If it fits, keep it and wear it.

this preoccupation with shirts that are made in the USA is well-intentioned but, IMHO, silly.

1. I have BB shirts that are made in malaysia that are equal to BB shirts made in other countries.
2. I have BB made in USA shirts that are marginal--that is, poorly made in comparison to BB made in malaysia shirts and Gitman or Mercer shirts. Being made in the USA is no guarantee of good workmanship. It seems the brand is more important than the country of origin when it comes to quality.
3. the trade regulations governing textiles and garments are ludicrous. As I have said here before, if you want to understand this topic, I suggest reading the book "Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy".

If you want a truly high quality shirt, look beyond BB (though most of my shirts are BB). Ascot Chang, Gitman, Thomas Pink, Talbot and Mercer are names that seem to easily exceed BB in quality.

Markus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.