Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late this afternoon, I went for a haircut (yes, I know, alert the media). However, my barber is at 72nd St. and Lexington Ave., and often, afterwards, if the store is open, I take a walk over to Ralph Lauren's showplace at 72nd and Madison, on my way to the uptown bus.

I was idly pawing through the sale ties (apparently, the monochromatic RLPL ties of last season did not sell well), when I was approached by a short, slender East Asian employee of the place.

He turns to me and says "You look familiar - do I know you from someplace?". I immediately recognized him as Raymond Chu, one of the five finalists of the Esquire Best Dressed Real Man contest (Grayson was kind enough to have sent me the URL showing the five finalists).

I said, "No, but you're Raymond Chu, and I know where you know me from." As it happened, in the voting, Raymond's profile and mine ended up on the same page, so I was familiar with his face, and, it would seem, so was he with mine.

Now, this all could have been simply a very good sales ploy (despite his youth, and he is VERY young, he's very well-spoken, and very professional in his mien), but I did think it ironic that he remembered my face (or general style), more than I remembered his (I am not sure that I would have thought to look at him very closely had he not approached me).

An amusing way to end one's work week, in any case . . .

For your possible amusement, then . . .

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the odds are higher than one might think . . .

. . . I was approached by a salesperson at Brooks Bros. in Boston who knew my face from Ask Andy - God knows where my poor old images will get me next . . .

Wow, what are the odds of running into someone you know on the Internet in New York, amongst all those people

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Despite how tempting it is to post a pic in the WAYWT thread, I don't like the idea of revealing my identity for all to see, especially at a mega traffic site like AAAC. The majority of the crowd here isn't exactly your average Joe who doesn't give a second thought to whatever dribble he reads on the Internet; there are a lot of high profile people who haunt AAAC.

Was the irony in you not recognizing him at first, even though he was a finalist and him recognizing you even though you weren't?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Perhaps that recognition shows our own upr_crust may have found a potential stalker? :icon_smile_wink:

Wow... he is young!

I guess it's good Mr. Chu wore his "1940's film-noir" costumes instead of his cowboy or his Buzz Lightyear outfits in that photo submittal.

(resumes chowing down on a big bunch of sour grapes)

:lol:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Except for a Mr. Grant, the others on this list, including Mr. Chu, are poorly attired.That's one reason why nobody should read the once-great Esquire any more.
How is Ray poorly attired?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
He dresses quite well within his style preference of things from the '30s and '40s. Believe me, I've seen a lot of people where this is not the case. Everything fits him well and his eye for colour is outstanding. Also, those trousers are not flared and his attire is hardly "hip" by any stretch.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
He dresses quite well within his style preference of things from the '30s and '40s. Believe me, I've seen a lot of people where this is not the case. Everything fits him well and his eye for colour is outstanding. Also, those trousers are not flared and his attire is hardly "hip" by any stretch.
Chacun a son gout-definitely not my gout. Also, what exactly are "real men"? Were Fred Astaire, Dean Acheson, Cary Grant etc.etc.etc. less "real" than these folks? They were certainly far better dressed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've Met This Young Man...

And he was so amazingly attired I had to go up and tell him so. The last time I was in the Polo Mansion he was wearing a cream pinstriped linen double breasted suit that was absolutely insane.

Regarding the flared trousers, I can't remember whether or not he said the suit was vintage, but if it wasn't from the 40s, it was inspired by them.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
And he was so amazingly attired I had to go up and tell him so. The last time I was in the Polo Mansion he was wearing a cream pinstriped linen double breasted suit that was absolutely insane.

Regarding the flared trousers, I can't remember whether or not he said the suit was vintage, but if it wasn't from the 40s, it was inspired by them.
Beau Brummell " If John Bull turns to look after you, you are not well dressed, but either too tight, too stiff, or too fashionable"-or maybe "So amazingly attired."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.