Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I have one. I don't think I would pay full price or even the normal "sale" price for it, but with a discount coupon and a sale I got it for $105 and it is well worth that. The biggest down side are the plastic buttons but I usually change the buttons on a blazer anyway.

I bought this as a back up. My favorite Navy blazer is a Stafford Executive from JCP that I got for $99 on sale, plus it had dark metal buttons that I didn't have to change. The only problem with that jacket is that it is more of a midnight blue and I wanted one in a slightly lighter shade also like the AL.

Cruiser

·
Registered
280 Posts
Spend the extra $40 and get the BB. It is going be of higher quality and I would think the fit would be superior to the American Living one you posted here.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Spend the extra $40 and get the BB. It is going be of higher quality and I would think the fit would be superior to the American Living one you posted here.
While I agree that the BB is of superior quality, fit and quality are two different things entirely. I tried on the BB and the AL "fit" me better off the rack than the BB. It's just like with khakis, Dockers fit me better than Bills.

Cruiser

·
Registered
195 Posts
BB's website is one of the most imperfect sciences known to man. I once had my eye on a belt in the clearance area that kept going away and coming back and away all within a span of a few moments! I got the belt, though. So call them at a store- I'd recommend one of the larger stores, in NYC (346 or 5th Ave) or the one on the Mag. Mile in Chicago because they have more experience with shipping due to tourism, etc. These guys are nearly perpetually over-staffed, and they have the same prices in store as online.

However, I'd go the eBay route. I, too was in the market for a new blazer, and I went on eBay. I got a NWT J. Press Pressidential sack for $99- not a bad deal at all. If you're OK with darts you'll be able to find tons under the price of the JCP, for leaps and bounds better quality. You'll have money left for tailoring, too, which they don't do at JCP, anyways, I'd venture to guess.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The BB uni blazer is not exactly what I'm looking for, but I may try the ebay route (though I always am concerned about finding something decent that fits well on ebay). The most appealing thing about the American Living blazer definitely is it's price, as even a basic LE navy blazer is slightly more expensive, but I would imagine that the quality is questionable.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
While I agree that the BB is of superior quality, fit and quality are two different things entirely. I tried on the BB and the AL "fit" me better off the rack than the BB. It's just like with khakis, Dockers fit me better than Bills.

Cruiser
The BB University Blazer is also constructed of a heavier fabric, not suitable for wear during the warmer months of the year.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go for It

Hi Ron,

While I have never shopped at JCP, I do read Consumer Reports. CR always has good things to say about the clothes at JCP keeping in mind the price point.

I say get the jacket, see how it fits, and have your tailor massage the fit if necessary. No need to spend if you are looking for an inexpensive blazer, part of the fun of a chaep one is being able to kick around in it. I tend to find I get a great deal of pleasure and use out of a lot of my lesser priced purchases, sometimes more use than out of a high ticket item.

Best,

Jonathan

I'm in the market for a cheap navy blazer. Does anyone on the forum own this one?

https://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...blazer&fr=yfp-t-203&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm in the market for a cheap navy blazer. Does anyone on the forum own this one?

https://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...blazer&fr=yfp-t-203&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
I bought the unlined cotton one on sale for $15 a few weeks ago. Very nice for that money. The only problem on the med was the sleeves were super long. I've got a 33" sleeve and they came down past the 2nd joint on my thumb. I had a tailor fix them for about $20. Total was $35 and it fits great. If you have long arms you might not even alterations. They also have a khaki in the store.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The BB uni blazer is not exactly what I'm looking for, but I may try the ebay route (though I always am concerned about finding something decent that fits well on ebay). The most appealing thing about the American Living blazer definitely is it's price, as even a basic LE navy blazer is slightly more expensive, but I would imagine that the quality is questionable.
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my LE blue blazer. I have an ebayed unlined BB one that I use for summer, but in winter I still use and like my LE one. I seem to trust LE more than JCP, but I guess lately, LE is a Sears brand and may no longer worthy of a higher level of trust....

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I seem to trust LE more than JCP
For dress shirts I'm with you 100 percent on this. Almost all of my dress shirts are LE; however, when it comes to blazers and sport coats I can't agree. I just can't seem to warm up to LE blazers and sport coats.

With regard to my AL navy blazer, I wore it again today which makes the third wearing since I bought it. I continue to be very pleased with it. And while this has nothing to do with quality, this is the only blazer or sport coat that I own that I've been able to wear straight off the rack without alterations.

Cruiser

·
Registered
195 Posts
LE used to be great. For many years I wore their apparel with no complaints as to quality, etc- as did my father, and many other people I have known. LE was always an honest company, who charged an honest price for their goods. Before they were sold to Sears, I would have recommended nearly anything they sold without fail. However, higher cost items, such as any dress clothing- dress shoes, OCBDs, blazers- have been seriously maimed by Sears' need for more profits in these areas. For a long time, all LE sport coats were made in the USA. Albeit not as nicely as those who still make in the USA, a la Southwick, but still good quality for the price.

I wouldn't recommend much from LE anymore, at least in the realm of trad staples. While they may produce some honest clothing, I just don't want to waste my time and energy looking for the diamond in the rough. It used to be that the rough wasn't so bad after all- but once people started seeing the rough as diamonds (non-iron?), LE didn't need to care about quality- as long as people didn't know, they could still masquerade around quality as if it was the same as always. 100% quality guarantees mean nothing if the purchasers of the garments don't know quality and return the items en masse. The few consumers who do can't make enough of a difference. It's all about cheaper, now, and quality suffers.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
As I've said many times before, LE gets close w/ some of their blazers & sportcoats, but still they're not quite right. I love their OCBDs, polos, khakis, etc though, especially when on sale.

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.