Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and noticed there are a few mentions of them but not a large thread. For those who do not know them (although I cannot imagine there are many here who aren't in the know), American Giant is a clothing company based out of San Francisco, California that started by trying to make "the world's best sweatshirt" which was a full zip 12.4 oz (now 13 oz) 100% cotton hooded sweatshirt. If you check around, there are mixed reviews on it. I have three in Captain's Blue, Dark Jade, and Dark Purple that I bought in 2016. I also have t-shirts from them and other things.

With all that said, I think their best item is actually something called the "Premium Polo."

I have seen a lot of polo shirts elsewhere and I have tried a lot of "Made in USA" brands including Bayside, Akwa, and Royal Apparel. Akwa even had a bamboo viscose/organic cotton polo which was great but of course they discontinued it in favor of one that uses bamboo charcoal and polyester.

Back to the Premium Polo, I feel the fit is excellent. I wear their XXL but it is still tailored so while it looks a tad baggy around my mid-section, it doesn't look ridiculous. I don't want something too tight being 5'9" and 191 lbs. If I was 25-30 pounds less, I could probably have the XL.

So anyway, what do you think overall on American Giant as a brand? Are they worth the price? Is the quality good in your view? If not, why and what brand should I jump to for basics such as polos, sweatshirts, and t-shirts.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Back to the Premium Polo, I feel the fit is excellent. I wear their XXL but it is still tailored so while it looks a tad baggy around my mid-section, it doesn't look ridiculous. I don't want something too tight being 5'9" and 191 lbs. If I was 25-30 pounds less, I could probably have the XL.

So anyway, what do you think overall on American Giant as a brand? Are they worth the price? Is the quality good in your view? If not, why and what brand should I jump to for basics such as polos, sweatshirts, and t-shirts.
First off, I can't imagine why a man of your stature, if he weighed 161 lbs, would be wearing an XL. The shoulders alone would look ridiculously big, not to mention the waist.

Secondly, what is your relationship to American Giant. Your post seems to have been written by a copy writer tasked with producing industry press releases.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
While IMHO the "Made in America" reality is a plus, I cannot claim any direct experience with the brand. However, it is interesting to note that for the garment selections offered, the designs and colors available are pretty limited and the prices are what one might expect to pay for a premium brand offering. From the OP's comments regarding fit, I would conclude the garment sizes offered by American Giant are not generously sized...which, also IMHO, is not a good sign. ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, if their claim to fame is “the greatest hoodie ever made”, I doubt they are making a pitch to many in this group.

I specifically started reading this forum to avoid any potential urge to wear hoodies.

This, of course excludes and hunting/field gear which is exclusively worn in the field....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
First off, I can't imagine why a man of your stature, if he weighed 161 lbs, would be wearing an XL. The shoulders alone would look ridiculously big, not to mention the waist.

Secondly, what is your relationship to American Giant. Your post seems to have been written by a copy writer tasked with producing industry press releases.
Right. I'm 6' 1", 200 lbs, and I wear a medium or large in most brands depending on how slim the cut is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I was a bit worried as I was writing that so allow me to redeem myself a little. I bought a few of their premium tees both short and long sleeve. I would sort of hear a tearing sound as I put them on which I thought was odd and didn't happen with conventional tees. I ended up returning them and getting a credit which I used, but they have since adjusted their return policy. Also they used to ship free with a $75 order and now it is $100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.