Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in high school, but I absolutely hate what kids wear these days. 90% of the time it is some combination of:

A shirt by Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostle
Jeans by Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostle

Ugh.

If I could get away with it, I'd wear Sport Coats/Blazers/Slacks/Khakis/Suits etc. every single day (Unless I wasn't going anywhere).

I think I'm going to start gathering a wardrobe of nicer clothes so I can wear them often when I'm in college and can actually get away with it.

Do you think I am abnormal in a negative way?

I also have another question, I recently went into Jos. A Bank and found a sport coat from their signature gold line on sale for $99. (On sale from their inflated price of $795) It's the one pictured here, but it's two button.

https://josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=398812

Think that looks too old for a younger guy to wear? I personally like it and those who were with me liked it, but I don't want to look like a 50 year old history teacher. >_>

· Registered
458 Posts
I'm still in high school, but I absolutely hate what kids wear these days. 90% of the time it is some combination of:

Ugh.

If I could get away with it, I'd wear Sport Coats/Blazers/Slacks/Khakis/Suits etc. every single day (Unless I wasn't going anywhere).

I think I'm going to start gathering a wardrobe of nicer clothes so I can wear them often when I'm in college and can actually get away with it.

Do you think I am abnormal in a negative way?

I also have another question, I recently went into Jos. A Bank and found a sport coat from their signature gold line on sale for $99. (On sale from their inflated price of $795) It's the one pictured here, but it's two button.

https://josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=398812

Think that looks too old for a younger guy to wear? I personally like it and those who were with me liked it, but I don't want to look like a 50 year old history teacher. >_>
I am a 51 year old archaeologist, so perhaps I am suitable to answer your question. The jacket you bought looks really nice, I wouldnt mind having it myselves.
And I dont think that you are abnormal, taste and sense for style is an individual thing.
My advice to you is to wear these clothes on special occasions, but not for everyday purpose. When you go to college, you can wear these clothes on a more regular basis.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Well, I happen to be in college and have a couple half-brothers who are starting high school.

They don't seem to be wearing jeans. It seems to me they're wearing stuff probably from the stores listed except they look like bastardizations of trad clothing. Plaid pants, etc, but worn around their knees letting their underwear show.

As for college, where you can "get away with it." You can; however, don't expect it to be different than high school. I work at Joseph A Bank, actually. I used to just dress up for fun (and I still do); however, now I have to dress up to go to work too. I typically wear a suit/sport coat two to three days a week. And people always go, "Why are you so dressed up? Do you have an interview today?" These questions will be asked by the same people everytime despite my answer of "Because I enjoy it" or "I am going to work later." I'm going to start the response of "Why are you so dressed down?"

I do get plenty of positive comments from the females, however. They seem to appreciate it and tell me they wished more guys would do it.

As for the jacket, it is certainly wearable, in my opinion. Mind you, if you're self-conscious don't get it. That is the biggest secret: don't be embarrassed about dressing up be confident. You don't want to come off with a stuffy attitude, but you want to be confident, otherwise it won't work.

Remember a lot of college kids think they look good and are dressed up when they are wearing a suit jacket with jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers (dressed like House).

Another big recommendation is to learn as much as you can from these forums and other people who know what they're talking about so that you can look the best you can.

A large problem you may find is the cost. You can find good deals at places, but as a college student you will probably find it is expensive. Certainly for the $99 for that clearance sport coat you linked, you could get one pair of pre-torn jeans from Abercrombie. =P

· Registered
78 Posts
I doubt many people on this board would think you're abnormal, but this is a crowd that likes to dress up. If anything, people around here would more likely nominate you for an award. :icon_smile:

Yes, life does get better after high school. Much better. But being able to "get away with" dressing up is still a matter of degree. If your peer group or coworkers are dressed in jeans and T-shirts and you insist on wearing a coat and tie, you'll be the odd man out. Sure, I can get away with wearing a coat and tie to the office, but all it does is get me teased and scorned. That doesn't exactly help when I have to work with these people.

Off duty, however, I can wear what I like, and teasing and ridicule make no difference. A couple months ago I took my girlfriend out for dinner and a theater performance for her birthday, and I wore a sportcoat with a bowtie, at her request. Just about everyone I saw was wearing the standard jeans/T-shirt/shorts/flip-flops, and there were very few ties on anyone. As far as I could tell, I was the only one in the entire city wearing a bowtie. I loved it, my girlfriend loved it, and several people made positive comments. If you want to dress up, go for it.

As for the Jos. Bank sportcoat, I don't think the styling of the one you listed screams "old guy" any more than anything else they sell. If you're looking for hip 'n' trendy outfits, Jos. Bank is not the store for you. Their stuff falls pretty squarely in the "classic" department. The good part about that is that something you buy there today will be perfectly acceptable to wear 10 years from now, assuming it still fits. :icon_smile_big:

I have a mohair/cashmere/wool coat from their Sig Gold line that I also picked up for $99. I'm very happy with it, and the price was definitely right. You can get some really good deals there if you watch for the good sales.

I agree that you have to go with what makes you comfortable. If you like how something looks, fits, and feels, it will show in your confidence.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Well to answer the question simply from your thread title, and you basically answer it for yourself in your first few sentences, no. You are not normal. If 90% of your classmates wear one thing (and I have a feeling that number is probably higher) and you wear something different, that would mean your not "in the norm".

But semantics aside, I think your asking whether you should dress differently than your peers. This question is not an easy one. Firstly, think of self preservation. Even when you get to college, most students do NOT dress up like they mau have 40-50 years ago. They mostly wear jeans and teeshirts, or maybe jeans and polos, or dress shirts untucked with a suit coat over top. So while you may feel like you'd be more in the norm by dressing the way you'd like to in college, you probably won't. This may play a role in whether or not you make friends/get dates.

Secondly, the reason most kids don't "dress up" or wear dressier items is purely financial. They are working part time, hourly wage jobs and can't afford to drop $100 on a jacket. A tee shirt and $50 pair of jeans is easier. Then there's the other thing...they don't have to dress up. Now don't get me wrong, I'm in a profession that doesn't require me to dress up, but I do. However, as a teenager you are given the freedom to dress your age, like a kid. Take advantage of it. I'm not telling you to not have a few nice things for special occasions, but for everyday wear, stick to what is comfortable, physically, and socially. And remember, your body is still filling out, and what may fit you now, will not when your 21...another reason most kids don't wear dress clothes...

I hope this doesn't come across as a knock on your style. I admire the fact that you do enjoy looking good, its important. But there's nothing worng witha nice trim pair of khakis and a polo shirt for someone your age. Good luck!

· Registered
499 Posts
To answer about the coat specifically, I have it in the brown color, and have gotten nothing but compliments (I'm 28). It goes with almost everything. I wish I could have gotten it at $99, I think I got it at a slightly higher sale price of around 200 - 250.

· Registered
3,539 Posts
It's OK. I went through high school and university feeling exactly as you do.

I felt like the jeans and t-shirt uniform was a straight jacket from which I secretly yearned to escape. Unfortunately, the uniform is compulsory, but you should never cease to aspire for greater things. You can plot your dress revolution in subtle ways. If the mob catches you at your game it will be ugly, so do it surreptitiously. A well fitting BD shirt here, a light coloured cotton/linen summer jacket there or a DB navy pea coat for the winter would not be considered over the top. Also consider cotton or seersucker trousers in interesting colours. Slip in Chelsea boots here or there and you could be the envy of your friends. The girls will notice too ;)

· Registered
243 Posts
You're in Texas. I say go with polos/button downs/sport shirts (untucked) and khakis (no ties or jackets - too hot) in HS and/or college and you'll be a step or 3 above everyone else (assuming public schools) and not raise suspicion. You can start tucking your shirt in in college, and add the odd tie/jacket when it's cool out.

At my college, the kids who "dressed up" to the extent of a tie and coat every day were the ones who wanted to be politicians, either when they graduated or within the school.

· Registered
816 Posts
It's OK. I went through high school and university feeling exactly as you do.

I felt like the jeans and t-shirt uniform was a straight jacket from which I secretly yearned to escape. Unfortunately, the uniform is compulsory, but you should never cease to aspire for greater things. You can plot your dress revolution in subtle ways. If the mob catches you at your game it will be ugly, so do it surreptitiously. A well fitting BD shirt here, a light coloured cotton/linen summer jacket there or a DB navy pea coat for the winter would not be considered over the top. Also consider cotton or seersucker trousers in interesting colours. Slip in Chelsea boots here or there and you could be the envy of your friends. The girls will notice too ;)
Very good advice. I would improve the way you dress in a subtle way, without doing a huge drastic change all at once. Also, you shouldn't be spending a ton of money on clothes at your age. And always remember, you have the rest of your life to dress well. Be a little patient :icon_smile:

· Registered
7,025 Posts
A very short word of advice . . .

. . . "Normal" is highly over-rated as a state of being.

One should enjoy who one is, and if one is blessed with a greater sense of style than the thundering herd, so be it.

· Vendor
1,739 Posts
We in the menswear business applaud you. May there be more like you! That being said, when you are in Rome, if you do not do as the Romans do, it will be very evident. It is not a question of "normal" vs "abnormal". It is just expressing your personal choice. If the response of your social circle makes you uncomfortable, then you have to do what is necessary to feel "comfortable". Often once people are accustomed to seeing an individual in a particular mode of dress they then accept it for that individual even though it is not what they choose for themselves.

640 Posts
. . . "Normal" is highly over-rated as a state of being.

One should enjoy who one is, and if one is blessed with a greater sense of style than the thundering herd, so be it.
^ +1 + "normal" is what people are until you get to know them. IMHO, being normal is like being "nice". Do you date? Do want your dates telling their friends aftwards that you were "nice"?

I like that sport jacket too.

· Registered
105 Posts
It doesn't seem abnormal to me but I was the kid that insisted on wearing a tie to grade school a few times. As several others have said, don't expect college to be much different, at least unless you go to a far better college than I went to. Actually the same goes for the workplace. For many professions slacks and a polo are considered the office uniform for today. You will certainly still be the odd man out if you're wearing a suit. That isn't always a bad thing but it can make the wearer feel a little uncomfortable. You will be asked if you're going to an interview often. Personally I'd not go too crazy until you're in the college environment and try out your nicer attire a few times and decide if its something you will want to wear there often or not.

I think thats a fine looking jacket. I think I looked a bit...well lets say goofy when I was younger and it was hard to find stuff that looked great on me then. As I've gotten older (mid 20's) I feel like I've gotten a more adult look to my face and can pick from a wider variety of clothes.

· Registered
526 Posts

Ugh.
+1
Kids today dress terrible.

Rabble459:804458 said:
You're going to the wrong school. Have your parents send you to a private school where they wear a blazer and a tie every day.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
You're going to the wrong school. Have your parents send you to a private school where they wear a blazer and a tie every day.
That way it can take you until your late 20's to begin loving that attire again (like me).

· Registered
124 Posts
As many others have said, I don't think the only alternative to A&F or Hollister is a coat and tie. I mean, wear what you want but recognize that if you go too far off the beaten path, you will be singled out (which can be good or bad depending on the situation).

What I think is more important here is that you KNOW how to dress better. This site is such a valuable resource that I didn't know about when I got out of high school 12 years ago. I remember what I wore to so many job interviews and college interviews thinking I was dressed well. Ugh.

You're in a good spot thinking about this stuff now. You probably won't fit in well with your nice outfits in HS or college, but when dressing nice actually counts, you'll be light years ahead of your peers.

· Registered
36 Posts
I was the same way with wearing ties in grade school and moving up to suits and jackets in high school. (I wanted to look like Alex P. Keaton and I was the same size as my dad so I could wear all his cool vintage '60s stuff.) Sure I got singled out but after a while everyone got used to it and it came to be expected of me. Good or bad, everyone knew who I was but no one gave me any grief, at least not to my face.

I didn't rebel until after I graduated college and joined a band and got into the Docs, leather pants, tight t-shirts and Ziggy Stardust colored spiky hair. I actually went to one of my reunions dressed like that and this one hot cheerleader asked if we'd gone to school together. When I asked if she remembered the guy in the jackets and ties she did. When I told her that was me she was shocked.

That phase lasted a while, too, and now I'm getting back to my better-dressed roots. Last weekend I actually ran into this hot girl I worked with during my punk phase and she said, "Don't take this the wrong way but you look really good!"

I guess I always just said f*** it and wore whatever I wanted and was able to pull it off because I had the confidence. Try wearing leather pants pre-Ricky Martin in Iowa whether you're in a band or not :)

So yeah, wear what you want and realize you go through phases but chances are you'll end up where you once were but with a lot of fun memories.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
I frequently sported a neckie in high school. Then in university, a suit or blazer became pretty standard. For me, it was practicality (a suit has about 2-4 functional pockets on the jacket, another 2 side pockets for your wallet and keys in the pants) and economy (I didn't have to change between school and work, later in the day).

If you have any excuse to dress up, go for it. If you do choose to dress better than your companions, be conscious that your choices are a bit unusual. Is unusual bad? Not at all. Remember, most kids your age can't tell the difference between MW and Tom ford, so take advantage of the time you've got now to wear inexpensive suits, until you've settled on a personal style and are all filled out. When you're 23, well-built and are out of school pulling in real world money, then you can indulge your sartorial fantasies.

Somebody once told me the real rebel was not the pierced punk on the street corner. It's the guy walking down the street in the 3-pc suit with a bow tie. Both are outside the norm, but the guy in the suit is rebelling against conformity while choosing options which present himself in a good manner.

Even if you are "abnormal" it's not a bad thing. It's anti-rebellion, a throwback to the better times.

Thomas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.