Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have denim jeans altered? Specifically, have the waist, maybe the seat, taken in an inch or so. How about shortening the hem? Is there a good tailor in the boston area who can work with denim?

· Registered
82 Posts
Is it possible to have denim jeans altered? Specifically, have the waist, maybe the seat, taken in an inch or so. How about shortening the hem? Is there a good tailor in the boston area who can work with denim?
Shortening the hem, definitely. Be SURE to ask them specifically for "original hem" - it will cost more but will be worth it. Don't know about tailoring the waist etc.; there are so many combinations of cuts out there, I usually just try on until I find one that fits.

I use Benny Ho in Brookline. Very good quality, though they can be very high priced and can take a lot of time.

· Registered
1,731 Posts
Hemming the legs yes, many of the other seems are form of construction peculiar to jeans I think involving double need sewing machines. Few high street alteration seamstresses will have these.

Why not buy a better fitting pair - usually trawling amongst the makes enables most folk to be fitted correctly.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Its a weight loss issue. I'm in the middle of trimming off about 20 lbs. I have a few pair and they're in good condition--probably a few more years of wear in them. They're nothing high end, but my nature is to use something as long as its servicible. When I complete my weight loss in about 6-8 weeks, I'll probably try to have a pair taken in. If that doesn't work, I'll donate the others.

· Registered
3,253 Posts
a double needle machine that does the folded seam on jeans would cost the tailor several thousand dollars. i dont know any one that has one of these. your tailor can do a good job but the inside of the jean will have a different finish. but the outside will look fine.

· Registered
519 Posts
Yes, a waste of money. If you look at the waistband on a jean, it is one piece, it doesn't have a seam at the back, where your spine is, as on suit trousers. So if you were to take in the waist, how would you move the buttonhole and riveted button from their present position?

Plus by the time you open all the seams, you might as well make / buy a new pair of jeans.

You can take in the outside and inside legs and length easily though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.