Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to alter a Barbour wax cotton coat? I'm planning on purchasing a Beaufort, but my ideal size is too large at the waist. Would the game pocket cause complications? Otherwise, I think I would size down, or purchase the contemporary Beaufort or utility jacket.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
As far as I know, they do not alter garments. A tailor may be willing to alter it but my advice would be to leave it and get one that fits.

The Beaufort is a nice jacket, I prefer the classic Beaufort over the contemporary model; there is also the option of the flyweight contemporary Beaufort, which I prefer over the contemporary Beaufort.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Is it possible to alter a Barbour wax cotton coat? I'm planning on purchasing a Beaufort, but my ideal size is too large at the waist. Would the game pocket cause complications? Otherwise, I think I would size down, or purchase the contemporary Beaufort or utility jacket.
I think they alter their own jackets if you send them in to reproofing with that request.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi, I had a Bedale altered by them. they do undertake alterations, and then re-proof...

Only issue us that you have to mark the amount you need the jacket taken in by. i would suggest getting a tailor to do this for you...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I wonder if they can make them larger by adding material. I don't think the seam allowances are enough to let out. I was going to send this inquiry to the Barbour folks in New Hampshire but could not find their e mail address or any reference to them on the International website. Are they still in business up there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sheesh. I've owned a Barbour jacket for ten years and I was under the impression that they couldn't even be cleaned, much less altered. Perhaps that's why my wife insists it live in the mud room.

To be honest, I'd feel faintly ridiculous in a tailored Barbour jacket. I thought the whole idea was to have room for a flask in case the birds weren't flying, a good book in the event of ennui, and a large wad of cash if it suddenly became necessary to light out for the next county.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Barbour does altering at their own factory. Most seams can be altered and have about 1/2 inch to let out from what I understand. However, Barbour will not alter some seams because it is too difficult.

There is a store in New York city. You should call there or stop by.

I have a Bedale and absolutely love it. If you are looking for a fitted look get a size smaller. That is what I did and it looks pretty good. Otherwise, a Barbour coat wasn't really meant to have a tailored or fitted look to it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm already getting a size smaller (40 instead of the better fit of the 42). I tried on a 38 and the shoulders were just too uncomfortable. The alteration is not necessary, but I personally think it would dramatically improve the fit for me.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have a size 34 Bedale, sage green, snaps for the lining, good condition that I'd like to trade for a larger size...36 or 38. Don't think it could be altered that much. If interested send me a pm or answer here. No one knows if the re-proofing place in NH is still in operation?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.