Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the back of my closet I have an old suit vintage 1994 that is a size 46R however in recent years I have gone down to a 44R. The suit looks quite large on me now, how difficult is it to alter? The shoulders look okay but the chest and waist have a considerable amount of room in them now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In the back of my closet I have an old suit vintage 1994 that is a size 46R however in recent years I have gone down to a 44R. The suit looks quite large on me now, how difficult is it to alter? The shoulders look okay but the chest and waist have a considerable amount of room in them now.
While this is a fashion forum, your question is best answered by a competent tailor. So, that's exactly what I do when I have a problem. Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Tailoring questions get kicked around a lot here. At least the shoulders do not have to be changed.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
Garments can always be made smaller. Sometime the cost makes it impractical. Reducing the waist of the trousers and the jacket should not be costly. Reducing the chest is more expensive because you have to open the sleeve from the top seam to the base of the armhole. Another factor to look at is the length of the jacket. When you lose a significant amount of weight the jacket drops down.

Paul Winston
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
356 Posts
It can be difficult to drop the size of a jacket that much and still have all the proportions look right. The hip pockets will start to slide to the back, if there is a double vent, the flap in back will start to look too large, after the chest and stomach are taken in often the shoulders will look large by proportion and the armhole may still be too big. However, personally I might just get the chest and stomach taken in a bit and wear the suit with a sweater underneath to fill the armhole and shoulder. Congratulations on losing the weight, maybe you should reward yourself with a new suit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.