Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local Brooks Brothers and tried on a 3 button sack Brooksease in charcoal. I have recently lost about 10 pounds and so I had the salesperson measure me. She said I fell between a 41 and 42 and she thought I looked like a long. I have usually considered myself an off the rack 42 regular and have not had the other few inexpensive suits I own adjusted at all. I am pretty new to wearing suits and do not have any expereince being fitted by a tailor.

So I decided to have the in-house tailor take a look at me in the suit. He took one look at me and then asked that I try on a 41 long.

This he liked and along with shorting the left sleeve and not the right one, he wanted to shorten the neck a bit and take in the back along the sides to give it more waist suppression.

I certainly can understand the neck alteration as there was a bulge there. I also can somewhat understand shortening the left side as I am left handed and may not be quite the same on both sides, although I don't really know.

What I thought was curious, was that he wanted to tighten up the waist area of a sack suit. It took a few minutes for me to adjust to the smaller shoulders of the 41, and I put the 42 on for him again and he really said his opinion was that the 42 was too big.

The 41 seemed a little wide in the waist in comparison to the shoulders, and pulling in the sides did give a nice line I thought.

I was just surprised how shaped the sack looked. I have read on this forum that sacks are like paper bags. This did not seem so to me. How fitted should it be?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.