Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm going to assume these men are young (let's call it under 30, based on the OP's handle), and probably some or most have no actual suits.

Bride wants groomsmen in matching suits and/or tuxes.

Just rent.

I know that's the wrong answer here, but if I'm a young man recently out of college (or whatever) and someone wants me to *buy a suit* so I can be a groomsman at their wedding? No. I might buy a suit, but it will be on my terms for my purposes.

I was a groomsman and/or best man on several occasions in my 20s, and granted, it was a more innocent era (late 80s/early 90s) but you just rented and thought nothing of it. It's a one-time thing. Maybe some will find it cool, dressing up, and buy a suit or tux later on, but it just seems demanding to expect all your groomsmen to actually go shopping, attend fittings, etc. for a couple hours' duties.

Plenty of "tasteful" options at the better rental places (yes, they put the purple tux and yellow Nehru jacket in the window, but they have traditional stuff. Maybe you have to suffer notched-lapel indignity, but so be it.)

My 2 cents (of savings).

DH

· Registered
2,584 Posts
Why? I've never understood that.

Let him foot the bill but he doesn't get a say. Otherwise, don't. The couple should have the wedding they want and that they can afford.

Christ! Call your own shots. Make your own decisions. Otherwise, both sets of mommies and daddies are going to micro manage your lives. Cut the cord and be grown ups. That why you get married.
I think a lot of this is a holdover from the days when "getting married" meant a couple of 19 year olds.

I was 34 when I first married, and much wealthier than either my or my bride's parents (as was my bride, a venture capitalist and technology executive). I certainly would never have prevailed upon "the parents" to foot the bill.

That said, I had no say whatsoever in planning the wedding (and in fairness, that was fine with me). I just showed up.

DH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.