Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am proud to finally join this community after many months reading through the forums. Because of the massive support for them on this site, I have purchased my first pair of AE's (Vernon, black calf). The sizing guide led me to order a 9E. However, trying them on they are quite tight near the small toe and outer edge of the foot. The length seems fine...about a thumb and a 1/4 room. The heel seems loose though. If I size up to the EEE, will this make the heel even more loose? Should I change the length as well? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Lucas

·
Registered
995 Posts
As the shoe gets wider so to does the heel. My suggestion for the first time around is start a shoe that you can get in all the widths like a PA, you should be able to get a great fit. Once you have this down work on the harder fits (you may never get there) but you will have shoes that do fit and you'll be happy. In my case the Vernon doesn't come in C, chances are a 1 size up B (13 B in my case) might run a bit long (might give it chance one day).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, MRP.

I wanted to start my collection with a black balmoral oxford. I considered the PA, but I found it to be a bit too 'plain' for my taste when I looked at it in person at Joseph A. Bank. I didn't try one on because the salesman was a jerk, treating me like a fratboy and not the medical professional I am. Anyway, I would like to get a 5 last as my next AE, Walnut Strands...however, I've purchased the Vernon, love them, and want to get them right. If I go wider and it fits perfect in the toes, is there anything I can do to alter the heel fit?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Some men are lucky enough that almost any last fits. Some are less lucky; for them the important thing about AE lasts is is to find these ones that work and the ones that don't. Sometimes it is not that a last does not work for them but that they need different sizes on different lasts.

There are two men's stores, (not including Jos. A Bank) in Baton Rouge that carry AEs. I have no idea how many styles they keep in stock or h and in what sizes or how well trained the staff is but it is worth your time stopping in. (Stores that carry AEs generally carry other good things) AE has a factory store in New Orleans. d wh It will be worth your time to go there and try on everything and see what lasts work for you and what doesn't. Moreover, company trained staff are well trained and know their products. They actually can help you find what works. One nice thing about shoes is that if you put on or lose 15 lbs. your size is the same. After you find the right sizes, in the right lasts, you never have to go in a shoe store again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your response and for taking the time to research the Baton Rouge area. I have tried the two stores you've mentioned. Mayer is now closed, even though their website is still up and running. The other, Cohn Turner only carries the Park Avenue and one of the penny loafers. Thanks for the tip on the Factory Store in New Orleans. I will definitely make a weekend trip down there for my next pair.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You can also call the factory store in in New Orleans ahead of time, tell them what you are looking for and your approximate size. No use to make a special trip unless they have several varieties to try on. My local store will actually bring models in for me to try on if I give them advanced notice. Don't know if all company stores are as accommodating, but the Charlotte store is great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drew outlines of my foot and of the shoe on the AE fitting guide. Obviously this was done around the outer soles of the shoe and so it actually is a bit tighter than it shows. You can see there is a lot of room north of the toes and around the heel, but it is quite narrow a the middle of the foot. Does this help with suggestions?
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
995 Posts
Based on the image I'd say 9-9.5 E is a good start. Keep in mind it is just a start, sounds as if you have a narrow heel, the EEE is going to be way too wide, you'd have to be in the WB area of the chart and they heel would really be loose. I'd go back to the store and try a 9.5 E. Keep in mind this shoe is supposed to have a lot of room in the front for style.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

I sent the Vernon's back and made my way down to the AE store in New Orleans this weekend. The staff is extremely friendly and well versed in the ins and outs of the product. I worked with Thomas and he allowed me to try on shoes of 4 different lasts in various sizes. We had at least 12 boxes of shoes out I'm sure. It seemed like an 8.5D worked best for me in the 5, 7 and 8 last. I ended up purchasing a pair of Walnut Strands...they were just too beautiful to pass up. I know I could have gotten them cheaper somewhere else, but I had no problem paying full price after all of the time that was spent with me.

Quick question: Should I condition/shine/protect the shoes before I wear them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.