Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there was another thread discussing their quality issues - but it seems like they just decided to raise their prices.

Park Ave is now $425: https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...y-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html

Interesting move, because at this point I won't even look to AE unless there is a huge sale, when for about $100 more you open a very diverse selection of brands to choose from that are significantly higher in quality.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
For $25 more you can get Carmina, for $200 LESS you can get Meermin(near equal IMO), for $75 LESS you can get Jfitzpatrick(2 grades better IMO) and for $175 LESS you can get Yanko. For $75 LESS you can get Carlos Santos, and for $110 more you can get Enzo Bonafe. Allen Edmonds just lost a lot of customers who know WTF. People with no clue may still buy them but then they have to compete with brands with more name recognition among the general public.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
I don't like this.

I've only ever bought deeply discounted seconds from AE.

With the frequent news that first-rate AE's aren't that great anymore, coupled with this price increase, it confirms I will never buy firsts from AE.

However, I have low-volume feet, and AE's lasts seem to fit me best compared to most euro lasts, and they're still more ubiquitous and easy to buy.

On the other hand, CETA is taking effect here, which means no more 40% duties on european shoes.

Now I'm frazzled and feeling indecisive :confused:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Wow. I was to the point of giving up even considering AE. This definitely pushes it over the edge. I was looking at some C&J and AS yesterday that even after the big run in the Pound were at $400. Why would I give AE a second thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
In 5 years I see AE being something completely different from what it is now.
That's a depressing thought! I was hoping that PE wouldn't suck the life out of the brand.

That said since I'm living in the UK now (and if I stay here beyond Grad School when I can afford another pair-hopefully) I have great access to Loake, AS, Cheaney, C&J, and other great English brands.

I'm also wearing a pair of AE made BB branded football leather Chukka's right now as I type this FYI....It's a shame to think they could be one of the last pair of non-crap AE's I'll every buy in my lifetime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a depressing thought! I was hoping that PE wouldn't suck the life out of the brand.

That said since I'm living in the UK now (and if I stay here beyond Grad School when I can afford another pair-hopefully) I have great access to Loake, AS, Cheaney, C&J, and other great English brands.

I'm also wearing a pair of AE made BB branded football leather Chukka's right now as I type this FYI....It's a shame to think they could be one of the last pair of non-crap AE's I'll every buy in my lifetime.
Agreed, and even in the US you can get Loake/C&J for ~$500. So that is a huge step up in quality for not that much more in the long run.

I also just ordered a pair of Park Aves from BB since they are on sale and I figured now is the time to get the last pair before I stop buying AE all together.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts

With some of the beautiful offerings from British manufactures I would take advantage of living in the U.K. to the fullest.

Right now I can't get the Cheaney Chiswick off my mind.

I have been a 30 year fan of Allen Edmonds. And I have some wonderful New Old Stock examples that I will own for life.

But things have changed remarkably at AE.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
^^ Yes indeed. For years I was a 10.5C or 11B in most Allen Edmonds lasts and for years I ordered from one fellow at The Shoe Bank. One day I will begin to sell of several examples, nearly NOS, that I can no longer wear.

I am a solid 11D in most AE lasts now.

But you,....In a 13 B!! Allen Edmonds does still make lots of widths and the seconds availability used to be very good.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Agreed, and even in the US you can get Loake/C&J for ~$500. So that is a huge step up in quality for not that much more in the long run.

I also just ordered a pair of Park Aves from BB since they are on sale and I figured now is the time to get the last pair before I stop buying AE all together.
With some of the beautiful offerings from British manufactures I would take advantage of living in the U.K. to the fullest.

Right now I can't get the Cheaney Chiswick off my mind.

I have been a 30 year fan of Allen Edmonds. And I have some wonderful New Old Stock examples that I will own for life.

But things have changed remarkably at AE.
I would but space is limited for any additions to the collection right now (I'd have to bring back everything I brought+some pieces I've bought here back to the US in the fall)

Just curious, it's been a while since I've stepped foot in an AE store (or even visited the website) but what are the signs it's truly going downhill besides the unjustified price increase?

Most of their offerings besides their casual range appears to be still Made in the States?

Btw the Chiswick is a beautiful shoe!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
^^ We've beaten the subject of Allen Edmonds slide of overall quality to death. A search of our archives will give you more reading than it is worth. (In my opinion.) Not meant to be an insult to your legitimate question, I'm just worn out of the back and forth on the subject,....

You can still find some nicely made AE shoes. At times I believe quality issues have become more common, I suspect directly correlative to a massive increase in production.

Regards,

·
Registered
356 Posts
I believe there was another thread discussing their quality issues - but it seems like they just decided to raise their prices.

Park Ave is now $425: https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...y-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html

Interesting move, because at this point I won't even look to AE unless there is a huge sale, when for about $100 more you open a very diverse selection of brands to choose from that are significantly higher in quality.
Wow. Awful glad I have 3 Macneils, 1 5th Ave and 2 Graysons to keep me going for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yikes. That's not a good move on their part. I agree: next time I need a pair, I'm going to have to look somewhere else. And I say that as someone who has only two pairs of non-AE shoes in his closet---and one of those is a pair of Bean boots.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.