Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I helped boost the economy and AE's balance sheet at Nordstrom's anniversary sale with several new pairs of AE and shoes, including PAs, Delrays and Waldens.

Now Amazon did something I didn't expect. I recieved an email coupon for 20% off on select shoes from Amazon.com. Several pairs of AE were on the list including the Modena in my size. AE's catalog lists these for US$275.00 and Amazon already had them on sale for US$129.98 after the 20%off the Modena the final was was US$103.98 with free shipping. Having a Amazon prime membership gets you free 2nd day air shipping. In my case I ordered the shoes at 3PM yesterday and somehow UPS got the package to me today.

Check out Amazon, you have to do a bit of searching to find all the models of AE they have as their AE inventory isn't well organized on the site. But if your lucky and they have your size there are some amazing buys. i.e. Joplins were going for as low as US$80.00 after discount and with free shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are Forum member's opinions of the Modenas?

Are they nice shoes?

Are they suitable for both formal business and casual business occasions?

I am under the impression that before wearing the Modenas in a walking city like New York, I will need to apply some form of sole and/or heel protection. Where would I go to do this, and what sort of protection should I use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The Modena is not for business. AE has an expansive idea of what can be worn for business, nonetheless the AE site describes them as informal and suitable for wear with denim or khaki. They are not the US made AE Goodyear welt shoe, but are made in Italy for AE , with what I believe to be a type of glue construction. This type of light weight shoe does not have as long a lifespan as a Goodyear welt and to make them last you will have to do something like putting on a Topy. The best place for work on shoes is: https://www.bnelsonshoes.com/ on 55th st. Nick Valenti, who posts here as Nick V, is the principal and I would follow his suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank You.

The AE marketing does appear to claim that these are appropriate for both suits and casual:

"For instance, the recessed stitching on the Nappa calf upper presents a lower profile, providing these shoes with a sleek shape sophisticated enough to pair with a suit. On the other hand, by eschewing the traditional bit or tassel in favor of an artistic lacing saddle-detail as well as rounding the toe and sole, we've given this slip-on a relaxed feel that will work equally well with denim or khakis."

What is the general rule? Are slip-ons never appropriate for business? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Thank You.

The AE marketing does appear to claim that these are appropriate for both suits and casual:

"For instance, the recessed stitching on the Nappa calf upper presents a lower profile, providing these shoes with a sleek shape sophisticated enough to pair with a suit. On the other hand, by eschewing the traditional bit or tassel in favor of an artistic lacing saddle-detail as well as rounding the toe and sole, we've given this slip-on a relaxed feel that will work equally well with denim or khakis."

What is the general rule? Are slip-ons never appropriate for business? Thanks.
To believe the copy,one need only buy one pair of shoes for everything. This recent thread discusses the question. https://askandyaboutclothes.com/com...Length-of-break-with-a-loafer-and-slacks-suit With the search feature you can find many more threads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.