Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Gents, I was wondering if any of you could provide some assistance with some fit problems I've been having with my new Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. I don't know what the problem is but I can't find a pair that fit properly. I bought two pair online in two different sizes and tried a third size on in the store and no luck. My heal is narrower than the ball of my foot and I am worried about getting a shoe too tight in the ball to cause a bunion etc.

I have the 9Ds and they seem a little tight in the ball area. I know this shoe has a narrow straight last but will this stretch out a little (is break in needed)?

I tried on the 9.5Ds and the ball of the foot feels fine but the shoe slips pretty bad off my heal. (Despite me tying it tight as possible)

I also have 8.5e which feel similiar to the 9.5ds. The toe area is fine but they slip (not as bad as the ds though) despite me tying it tight as possible.

I could put a tongue pad in the 8.5es and see i that keeps my foot down or I could see if the 9Ds stretch a little Or return all of them an stick with my crappy Johnston & Murphy Meltons which are the crappiest leather I've ever seen in a shoe but fit well. They seem to have a combination last because it is stamped 8.5 D/B and the ankle is cut much higher to keep the foot down w/o slippage.

I also have a pair of Coplys that I am testing in the different last in a 9D that fits good in the ball but slips in the heal despite me tying it tight as possible. Not sure what to do with them either! I want to upgrade so badly but I can't get the better shoes to fit my foot! Please help! Thank you! DM

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's possible that the 5 last that the PAs are made on is not right for your foot. Take a look for descriptions of the AE lasts. Maybe you need another style that is made on a different last. I like AE; but I understand that Alden makes shoes with different front & back widths but I haven't tried them myself. Ask some of the others here that seem to like them.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm thinking the last of the PA is the wrong fit for your foot. If you're going to keep one, keep the 9D and have the forefoot stretched a little bit, but if it were me, I'd try another AE style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to try the hale. I did try the SOHO and it was tight around the toe area too. When I increased in size or width, it felt better but there was a lot of slippage. I asked the salesman about this and he said that even though you went wider, it doesn't necessarily mean that the width of the box increases. It just means (depending on the last) that the volume increases. He further explained that the the volume increased in the soho but not wider but more up in the vamp for high arches. Just when you thought things were simple and width meant how wide something was laterally. THis meant how wide something was from the foot bed to wear the leather starts in the vamp...UGH

·
Registered
38 Posts
First time poster here. I'm finding this forum to be extremely useful and interesting. I actually just purchased a pair of Park Ave in 11D, and I'm concerned they do not fit properly. The only way I can describe it is, when I walk, I can feel the shoe crease and press down on my foot a little. It doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure if this is normal. Should I try these in a different size or width? Should I go down a size?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
That should not happen. Without seeing where the shoe is hitting your foot I can't tell. Usually this could mean a couple of things. 1. the shoe could be too wide and the extra width is causing an unnatural creasing that is cutting into your foot. 2. the shoe length may not be right. I would go back and have them measure your foot for the exact length and width. try on a couple of other shoes of similar styling. Get the one that is comfortable at that moment. Shoes will not get comfortable if they aren't to begin with. I have purchased shoes that fit and were comfortable to start and they got more comfortabel after the shoe broke in and my foot started to form into the leather footbed. Generally, shoes don't really stretch that much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also got a pair of AEs and I only wore them at home for a few hours. On one of my foot, I noticed a slight friction behind my heel after wearing it for 1 hour. The tongue of the same shoe also creased slightly almost where it meets my foot. At first I was feeling a very slight pressur over the tongue kind of like it wanted to press my foot and crease a bit, but it was solved with tightening less the shoe. The other foot seems perfect, no creasing on the tongue and no friction at all, a very snug and comfortable fit.

The shoe with the bad fit is slightly less wide than the other and a little longuer, the salesman also said that the arch of my feet was slightly higher. When I wear the shoe (on 'bad' foot), the shoe appears to be snug around my foot. Is this because the shoe should be slightly less wide? At first I thought it was because the shoe should be smaller in lenght, but then I noticed that foot was actually longuer. I currently wear 10 1/2 D, what is the difference in shoe size if I change the width (is it significant between C and D for example)? I am under the impression that if the shoes are tighter, the 'bad foot' will be ok while the good foot will just stretch out the leather. Does this make sense? Should I go back in the shop to try other pairs (the salesman said I could try them inside and come back if there was a problem) or is this normal?

PS. I apologize for hijacking the thread. I now realize that maybe I shouldn't have posted in the same thread, but it seemed appropriate since it was an AE shoe fit problem thread. What is the decorum, should I make a new thread or post related problems in existing threads? I also noticed that the problem is 90% fixed by wearing thicker socks.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
DM - I seem to have the same foot issue (wide front, narrow heel). After being dissatisfied with the fit of size 11D AEs, I won a new pair of 11C AE Byrons on ebay for $25. I took them to the shoe guy and had the front stretched a bit across the ball - and after a minimal break-in wearing, the shoes feel like they were made for my feet.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Also, I am not sure that the Byron was on the same last as the Park Ave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.