Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sent my beloved beef-roll pennies to A-E for recrafting, and I got a call today that they were destroyed. Sounds silly but it bothered me: I really liked those shoes. Their offer was to send me another pair. Of course, mine were discontinued, so they are sending me these:

I'm not sure I'll like them with that toe or that they'll fit, since I am so difficult to fit in general and in loafers in particular. (I can't wear the Walden.) AE said I could exchange them: I'm thinking about these 4 if the Burke doesn't fit. I'm not sure where I'm limited on price: AE is keeping my $100+ I paid for recrafting and sort of upgrading me: It is still a lousy deal as far as I'm concerned because I loved those shoes. Anyway, these are 4. Any opinions?

· Registered
1,035 Posts
"Destroyed" by whom? By you or by them?

If by them I'd ask for your money back AND a new pair of your choice.

If they were 'destroyed' from long use and so rendered irrepairable then AE is perhaps being generous but I think they should give you the option of a refund without forcing you to choose new AEs if the model is no longer made.

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

If they were 'destroyed' from long use and so rendered irrepairable then AE is perhaps being generous but I think they should give you the option of a refund without forcing you to choose new AEs if the model is no longer made.
This is how I am feeling. They destroyed them while working on them. It's not such a great deal because I could get seconds for close to the same price.

· Registered
608 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. At least AE is doing the right thing for you.

As a proponent of the beefroll, I would not like to have to go with a smooth strap version.

If I were in your shoes :)pic12337:)....

I would get some totally different replacements from AE, and buy some Sebago Classic II on ebay for much less to replace the loafers.

· Registered
913 Posts
I don't like the Campbell, the others look nice.
I agree

I was wondering this as well...

OK, you posted while I was responding...that sucks...sorry for your loss!

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. At least AE is doing the right thing for you.

As a proponent of the beefroll, I would not like to have to go with a smooth strap version.

If I were in your shoes :)pic12337:)....

I would get some totally different replacements from AE, and buy some Sebago Classic II on ebay for much less to replace the loafers.
Precisely my thinking. First, though, I'll see how the loafers fit. My AE beefrolls and Sebago are the only ones that fit me.

· Registered
106 Posts
You probably already thought of this, but do any of the 'replacement' shoes use the same last as your original pair? Maybe that would sway your decision one way or the other, since you said sometimes you have trouble getting a proper fit.

· Registered
3,254 Posts

AE destroyed one of my pairs also (reported in another thread some time ago).

They did not refund my money - but just gave me a brand new pair. Basically I had a worn pair of shoes, and for a price of re-crafting got a new pair. I considered it fair.

My particular shoes were available as firsts, at the time (although they were discontinued).

· Registered
1,818 Posts
Just my 2 cents on the style: I have a pair of Hanovers. They are very nice, but the squarish toe is imo a genuine distinction, something that really does impact ones reaction to the shoe. I'd take that into consideration, if you haven't already, with the one they are offering you. I much prefer my Bass loafers, though much inferior in quality and fit, because of the rounder toe.

· Registered
373 Posts
To me, fair would be a credit in the amount of what the shoes retailed for. Great customer service would be refunding your $100 plus a full retail credit. Outstanding would be a refund and any new pair of your choosing.

As for replacements, I would probably go with a pair of Park Aves or shell-cord Leeds. Shop for casual loafers elsewhere. Alden or Sebago, depending on preference and budget. Good luck.

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To me, fair would be a credit in the amount of what the shoes retailed for. Great customer service would be refunding your $100 plus a full retail credit. Outstanding would be a refund and any new pair of your choosing.

As for replacements, I would probably go with a pair of Park Aves or shell-cord Leeds. Shop for casual loafers elsewhere. Alden or Sebago, depending on preference and budget. Good luck.
To be fair I think have to look at the loafers to see how square that toe is, but if it doesn't fit or I don't like it I'm going to ask about other shoes. If they won't do this I'm going to ask for my money back plus some compensation for the loss. I own a number of their shoes, and that is how I would treat a customer.

· Premium Member
6,503 Posts
...And perhaps Allen could drop by and shine them for you while Edmonds gets you a cold drink.

Why are so many of you trying to stick it to AE? They goofed and they're willing to cough up a brand new factory fresh pair for the price of recrafting. Swell deal that. Don't push it.

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...And perhaps Allen could drop by and shine them for you while Edmonds gets you a cold drink.

Why are so many of you trying to stick it to AE? They goofed and they're willing to cough up a brand new factory fresh pair for the price of recrafting. Swell deal that. Don't push it.
The problem for me is if I can't find a pair that I like, then why should I be forced to buy a pair of shoes I don't want--even if it is a good deal. Thus it seems to me a refund would be in order, plus some compensation for the lost shoes, for which I paid a good deal of money.

Finally, your other post on the Grayson is a direct quote from the AE marketing blurb. Are you employed by the company?

· Registered
373 Posts

Tanqueray and tonic, extra lime. Do you think Allen would be willing to whistle while he works, I always enjoy that. :icon_smile_wink:

· Premium Member
6,503 Posts
...your other post on the Grayson is a direct quote from the AE marketing blurb. Are you employed by the company?
No. I'm employed in trying to make you laugh.
(In another thread Pgolden had asked if a certain AE shoe, which he linked, was appropriate for work. Clicking the link brought forth also the shoe's description, which said it "...was ideal for work as well as after work gatherings", or something like that. I responded to Pgolden's query by posting AE's blurb as if it were my own. Yuk, Yuk. But apparently the yuks were lost on Pgolden.)

· Registered
1,240 Posts
All the penny loafers I have had with the exception of one pair in my youth have been traditional beef rolls. I don't care for the Campbells that they offered at all, and from the photo, I am not crazy about the other pair of loafers.

All of the lace ups look nice to me. I guess the question is do they look good to you and do they fill a need in your shoe wardrobe. If so, I would take one of them and buy the loafers elsewhere.

Cheers, Jim.

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. I'm employed in trying to make you laugh.
(In another thread Pgolden had asked if a certain AE shoe, which he linked, was appropriate for work. Clicking the link brought forth also the shoe's description, which said it "...was ideal for work as well as after work gatherings", or something like that. I responded to Pgolden's query by posting AE's blurb as if it were my own. Yuk, Yuk. But apparently the yuks were lost on Pgolden.)

I suppose some people find plagiarism more amusing than others. But thank you for your effort.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.