Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Fifth Avenues during Anniversary Sale. Are these defects worth returning over or am I being too picky and it's not really an issue? Thanks for input.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
the creasing on the vamp is not a defect - i saw nothing there. That is called wearing your shoe.

for all the pictures with the welt closure I dont think that is return worthy. However, in the very last picture your resolution is not too good and I am struggling to determine what that defect is.

if it is a defect into the UPPER, I would return it. if that is some welt stitching upward in front of the upper I would not worry. The welt is a replaceable component and in its next resole it won't look like that. uppers are permanent components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah aside from the creasing, nothing is wrong with the upper. The welt is where the problem is...the stitching and there is a little chunk taken out of it as seen in the second pic I'll probably end up keeping them rather than going through the online return game or driving 1.5 hours to the store.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
What defect?

I see normal welt seams. Could they be done a little better? yeah. Could they be done a little worse? Yeah.

These are AE level shoes, not G&G etc. That level of craftsmanship is well within the expected tolerances.

You would have to go to a well stocked store, and go thru each pair individually to try and find a better pair. If you look that closely, then you’ll probably find something else that’s not perfect. What more can you expect in an entry level shoe? At the Anniversary sale price, they are probably worth The $249 you paid. At full retail you could do better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's nice to see some friendly answers amidst the snark. I know when I started buying better footwear, it was very much a learning experience. Having never spent near that much on footwear, I had no idea what to expect at a given price point and what is normal, what is an acceptable cosmetic defect and what warrants a return. Everyone wants to make sure they are getting fair return for their hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Five years ago, these would have been seconds.
:popcorn:

LOL

As long as the defect is just in the closing of the welt dont worry. Welts are replaced eventually. If your uppers are defect free, no blemishes, no cuts, no loose grain,, no fitting issues around the heel stiffeners...keep...

the last 2 AEs i had before I swore off them for good the uppers were crap.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Having purchased several dozen pair(s) of Allen Edmond shoes/boots over the years (at least fifty), I have just not had the bad experiences so many of you report, but rather, the vast majority of my AE experiences have been very, very positive! :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Having purchased several dozen pair(s) of Allen Edmond shoes/boots over the years (at least fifty), I have just not had the bad experiences so many of you report, but rather, the vast majority of my AE experiences have been very, very positive! :icon_scratch:
Speaking for myself, I think the increase in price coupled with the decline in attention to detail has made AE quite unattractive, figuratively and literally.

I'll agree that they can be found most often well discounted, can be found rather easily and still regarded as a great entry level shoe.

It's just that after a few basics, they're quite uninteresting and boring.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Speaking for myself, I think the increase in price coupled with the decline in attention to detail has made AE quite unattractive, figuratively and literally.

I'll agree that they can be found most often well discounted, can be found rather easily and still regarded as a great entry level shoe.

It's just that after a few basics, they're quite uninteresting and boring.
Their full retail prices are silly. When they throw everything on sale for $250 or so, however, that's a pretty square deal.

This said, my best fitting pair of dress shoes is a pair of AE Carlyles in 10E. Probably my best fitting pair of shoes period. It's like that last was modeled from my foot. So, if I had to, I WOULD pay full retail for those, knowing I was paying for a flawless fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.