Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody could give me their opinion of this shoe? I am looking to get my first really nice pair of black dress shoes. If you don't think this is the kind of shoe I should be going for could you please make a few suggestions. Thanks

This is another Allen Edmonds shoe I like a whole lot. However, it is a little more expensive.

· Registered
105 Posts
I was wondering if anybody could give me their opinion of this shoe? I am looking to get my first really nice pair of black dress shoes. If you don't think this is the kind of shoe I should be going for could you please make a few suggestions. Thanks

This is another Allen Edmonds shoe I like a whole lot. However, it is a little more expensive.
Of the two I think I like the Mondavio the best. If it's your first (and only, for now) black dress shoe the more simple and timeless the better. Personally I might suggest you look for a more basic toe-cap - like the Hale, Clifton or the Evanston. Think of it sort of like the 'first' suit - best to go for a basic Navy before you start getting creative!

Although having said that, I'm really digging that Mondavio! :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
85 Posts
Black cap toe

The first pair of black dress shoes is generally a cap toe, often a balmoral unless a blucher gives a better fit. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is a standard cap toe balmoral although it's a bit narrow for some feet.

Alden and Brooks Brothers have cap toes, too.

MinnMD

· Registered
2,865 Posts
The first pair of black dress shoes is generally a cap toe, often a balmoral unless a blucher gives a better fit. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is a standard cap toe balmoral although it's a bit narrow for some feet.

Alden and Brooks Brothers have cap toes, too.

MinnMD
I wear a 13E and I was surprised at how well the Park Avenues fit. They seem to have an iconic status on this forum as the ideal black shoes.

· Registered
100 Posts
yea, i would suggest you invest in a cap-toe as well (such as the Park Avenue).. out of the two you suggest i do prefer the mondavio though since it is a little more plain, but then again its quite expensive.. i would suggest you get a black Park Avenue and chili Clifton from shoebuy.com when they have one of their sales; it will probably come out to the same price as the mondavio :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the help guys. I definitely like the Park Avenues. My only concern with those is pretty petty as it reminds me of the shoes my Dad wears.

I'm currently in law school so don't want to shell out to much on shoes right now. I'm primarily purchasing these shoes for working at a law firm for 12 weeks next summer. Do you think 2 pairs is enough? I already have a pair of Santoni's in deep brown that I like a lot.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
My only concern with those is pretty petty as it reminds me of the shoes my Dad wears.
Yeah, that's kinda petty. Your dad didn't come up with this style, either.

I'm currently in law school so don't want to shell out to much on shoes right now. I'm primarily purchasing these shoes for working at a law firm for 12 weeks next summer. Do you think 2 pairs is enough? I already have a pair of Santoni's in deep brown that I like a lot.
Two should suffice, but three is better. Wearing a pair of shoes more than two days in a row hurts the shoes and your feet, but even with two you can alternate or occasionally wear them twice.

The key to having only a few of something is that they're conservative and almost unnoticeable. Unusual styles get noticed, and repetition of unusual styles gets noticed more. Who wants to be seen as "oh, there's David in his baby-s**t-brown cowboy boots again"?

Properly maintained, a welted shoe like an Allen Edmonds will last you decades. Don't think of them as shoes you're buying for a twelve-week internship; think of them as part of a serious professional wardrobe.

· Registered
305 Posts
IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Park Avenue. Yes, it's a bit stodgy but that's part of the appeal. Weddings, funerals, interviews, etc., it's your go to shoe. A pair of black Park Avenues was my first 'real' shoe purchase and I don't regret it a bit. I've since added various pairs of brown shoes in classic and contemporary styles, but the Park Avenues remain an anchor in my wardrobe.

As an added bonus, and I know this will draw some flak from certain members of this forum, you can even wear them with a tuxedo. Have them professionally polished and they'll look better than the plastic 'patent' bluchers other guests picked up from the rental store :cool:

· Registered
4,149 Posts
I own the Berkeleys in black. As usual with AEs, they look better in the flesh than on the website - somewhat austere pattern on a modern shape. Trad they're not. I wouldn't recommend them as a first or even second pair of Oxfords, but I'm happy with mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.