Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I went to Miller's Shoe Store in my home city yesterday hoping to get some AE's because I've heard so much good stuff here. I wanted a black PA and a walnut Bel Air.

Bad: The Bel Air they didn't have in my size.

Really bad: I tried on the PA in 10 EEE and it felt kinda tight. Actually after a while my right foot was quite comfortable but my left felt pressure on top of my toes and it felt like I was stepping down on the left side of the shoe and I could feel the edge of the insole.

I'm gonna go into major depression if I can't buy AE's... :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I'm hoping it's just a last issue. Maybe the PA last is too narrow?

I'm also used to a really loose shoe. I have Florsheim Cornells right now in 10.5W. They aren't really appropriate for suits so I want a more conservative style. But if AE's aren't comfortable I really don't know what else to do except check out more Florsheims or something.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Friends don't let friends wear Florsheim, unless they are NOS Imperials :icon_smile_big:

I'm waiting on my AE Fifth Ave's right now, they are on the same last as the PA I believe. I did try on the Bel Air before it seemed to be about as narrow as the PA last.

This may help you find a last and subsequent model of AE shoe that will fit well:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PA's widths and lengths are pretty darn true. If a EEE is too tight on you- you have the opposite trouble I have- I'm a B. And shoes become far less available to us at the extremes.
Ya I have wide and fairly flat feet. I am perfectly ok with zero arch support but the AE's all seem to be kinda of tight at the sides and on top of my toes. I suppose they expect you to sink into the cork and for the sides to flatten. But that is a bet I am only willing to make if they are at a steep discounted price <$100 and not at full retail.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All is not lost. Apparently the Bel Air comes in 5E which I hope is better than the EEE PA I tried on yesterday. Now that store didn't have Bel Airs in my size so I just need to find a store that does and try them on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bel Air's look nice. I like the top down look. With the long diagonals going down either side, that should really slim the appearance of the foot. I wear EEE myself, and appreciate the slimming effects of some designs.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
i am a B width in the 1,2,4 and 7 AE last, the 4 being my best fit, the 2 second. The 5 last, the PA I have only had luck with one shoe, only one PA that I have tried on fit, all of the others were just too big for me, so for me they ran a bit wide if memory serves. I know folks have talked about sizing up or down with these but I cannot remember, you may want to try a search.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For all of its popularity, the Park Avenue is a difficult shoe to get to fit right for a lot of people. All it takes is a little experimentation, though. They make so many different sizes and widths that the right one for you is out there, you're just going to have to find a store with a lot of inventory so you can try them all on.

I know there are many that disagree, but I think for the money the Park Avenue is the best shoe in the world.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
The PA's number 5 last tends to run narrow. If a pair of Park Avenues in a EEE width was too tight, there's still a good chance that A-E shoes on other lasts might be okay. Try the new Soho on the 0 last for an alternative to the PA.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I won't lose hope! Not many stores around downtown Toronto that I know of (on client site) except Harry Rosen and Dacks. At least not within walking distance...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Went to the Bay and tried on some Florsheim Imperial wingtips. Guy only had 11 EEE. It was nice and wide! However I think I need 10.5 so I didn't buy it.

Also the wingtips had a double leather sole but they were really rounded at the bottom and not flat. Is that normal?

Oh, and the heel had an extra patch of leather which I thought was uncomfortable and unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you bought them I would suggest having them professionally stretched. If not, I would call the AE Shoe Bank and see what they have. I just picked up some brown PA firsts from there 2 weeks ago for $179. They are super helpful over the phone and really know their stuff and will shop the store for you to find what you need.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to this place called Pace in Toronto BCE Place and they said the Park Avenue is teh biggest last. So NO AE shoe will fit me. Done and done.

I'm gonna go look for some Florsheim pebble gunboats. I hear they are the only Florsheims with full grain leather.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went to this place called Pace in Toronto BCE Place and they said the Park Avenue is teh biggest last. So NO AE shoe will fit me. Done and done.

I'm gonna go look for some Florsheim pebble gunboats. I hear they are the only Florsheims with full grain leather.
I would not consider Pace an expert on this. Go to Harry Rosen and try on a bunch of different AEs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.