Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

Just received in the mail (on Sunday, Xmas Eve...?) this pair of Ralph Lauren suede chukkas that had been advertised on the popular auction site as Purple Label/new-without-box. The seller had been asking an outrageous price, but then discounted them to $88 shipped; I pulled the trigger.

Please refer to the attached photos where you will find my blue sock showing through both sides at the base of the tongue on the left shoe. Right shoe seems to be better. Note that the two photos show the shoe "at rest," but when flexed, the problem becomes exacerbated.

I should mention that the seller wasn't too cool. I sent a cordial letter asking what classifies these as the "purple label" and I got a condescending reply that didn't even address my question.

Shall I file a return request?

Thank you, and happy holidays.
Insect Pollinator Arthropod Moths and butterflies Wood
Footwear Leg Textile Grey Wood

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Could you post a link to the original listing? I have often seen regular Ralph Lauren shoes being posted in juxtaposition with a Purple Label box and on the only occasion I was interested enough to bother the seller, he claimed lack of knowledge and said that this was the box the shoes came in...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and thanks--

I have in fact requested a return; we will see where it goes. There was no box included as they were listed as new-without-box. Is it against forum rules to post links to auctions...?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Re: RLPL. All my Purple Label shoes were by EG and each has Ralph Lauren in Script on the heal pad and under that Made in England. And I do have a couple of pairs in suede and they all were more substantial than what you are wearing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post links to auction sites, so here are some photos. Of course there are some rubber half-soles that were added (seller responding to my question about the half-soles: "We are a high-end consignment shop...other than the fact that these are authentic RL Purple Label, I have no idea about their history apart from what the client tells me).

The half-soles don't bother me, and I really don't mind if they are or aren't "Purple Label" per se; I was hoping for a high quality Made-in-Italy RL shoe. I have initiated a return request because they look weird and just don't seem right. Hopefully eBay will side in my favor.
Brown Outdoor shoe Beige Hide Fashion design
Brown Handwriting Font Tints and shades Beige
Brown Wood Beige Eyewear Tints and shades
Brown Footwear Human body Beige Outdoor shoe

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post links to auction sites, so here are some photos. Of course there are some rubber half-soles that were added (seller responding to my question about the half-soles: "We are a high-end consignment shop...other than the fact that these are authentic RL Purple Label, I have no idea about their history apart from what the client tells me).

The half-soles don't bother me, and I really don't mind if they are or aren't "Purple Label" per se; I was hoping for a high quality Made-in-Italy RL shoe. I have initiated a return request because they look weird and just don't seem right. Hopefully eBay will side in my favor.
View attachment 19358 View attachment 19359 View attachment 19360 View attachment 19361
Did the seller offer returns or did you have to open a case?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seller states in the auction that returns are accepted within 30 days and buyer pays return shipping. When I went to send the seller a message this morning about the flimsy-looking tongue issue, I discovered that the seller had either changed the account to not accept questions or had decided to block me altogether. When I couldn’t get through, my only option was to initiate a return.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The seller states in the auction that returns are accepted within 30 days and buyer pays return shipping. When I went to send the seller a message this morning about the flimsy-looking tongue issue, I discovered that the seller had either changed the account to not accept questions or had decided to block me altogether. When I couldn't get through, my only option was to initiate a return.
Best of luck to you! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I’m not sure it’s so much an issue of a flimsy tongue vs. perhaps your foot.

A chukka boot like that and like any other are designed to be somewhat unstructured and very giving, in other words, a bit flimsy.

It appears as though your foot is pressing out against the sides of the shoe causing this gapping.

As for the whole RLPL thing, the whole line has undergone a lot of change over the years. Purple Label shoes would have Ralph Lauren written in cursive and that’s how they were distinguished from shoes belonging to the remainder of the RL range. I’m not sure that’s the case anymore.

They are nice boots. Too bad they just don’t work for your foot. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello--

I don't think these have been worn. It looks to me like someone bought these a while back, put rubber half soles on them, and then tossed them in the back of the closet.

The shoes seem to fit well enough, and if they both looked like the right one does, then I would be really happy with them for the $85 or whatever it was that I paid. Even pulling the laces on the left one tighter than comfortable, there is still a gap on each side of the tongue. I'm guessing this is the reason why the previous owner never wore them.

Does eBay generally side with the buyer in these situations? I haven't heard anything from the seller, but I probably wouldn't bother dealing with it either over a holiday weekend. It wouldn't be the end of the world if eBay denies my return request, though I don't envision myself wearing these; the left shoe just looks too weird.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
Best of luck with your return.

Your description of your communication with the seller would personally make me wary of dealing with that seller again.

In my own experience, it's amazing how many sellers on ebay who - from their own description - make a living from selling clothes on commission and yet only provides a single photo and NO measurements (for, say, shirts and suits). Well, they're not getting my money...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It isn't so much as I'm complaining--certainly not about the return policy--as I'm asking, "hey, does this fit look strange to those of you who are more versed in this than I am?" I was also curious about what distinguishes the "Purple Label," and the question was answered (cursive nomenclature).

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
It isn't so much as I'm complaining--certainly not about the return policy--as I'm asking, "hey, does this fit look strange to those of you who are more versed in this than I am?" I was also curious about what distinguishes the "Purple Label," and the question was answered (cursive nomenclature).
The cursive WAS how it was previously. I'm not sure now.

As for the fit issue, I didn't mean ruffle your feathers.

Shoes above all other things shouldn't be purchased online unless you already know your particular size in that particular last. Certainly not online from an auction sight which an uncertain return policy.

Try to return them and good luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
The cursive WAS how it was previously. I'm not sure now.

As for the fit issue, I didn't mean ruffle your feathers.

Shoes above all other things shouldn't be purchased online unless you already know your particular size in that particular last. Certainly not online from an auction sight which an uncertain return policy.

Try to return them and good luck
Eh, certain shoe sellers have excellent return policies. Allen Edmonds, for example. You can buy online from them with zero concern. They'll give you a free shipping label to return it if it doesn't fit right, and they'll ship a new pair in the proper size as soon as you drop the returned pair off at UPS. Sometimes even before that.

Or anything from Nordstrom, for example. They're just as good.

Or any pair of shoes on Amazon where Amazon itself is the seller.

Auction sites, however, yeah, that I wouldn't advise.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Eh, certain shoe sellers have excellent return policies. Allen Edmonds, for example. You can buy online from them with zero concern. They'll give you a free shipping label to return it if it doesn't fit right, and they'll ship a new pair in the proper size as soon as you drop the returned pair off at UPS. Sometimes even before that.

Or anything from Nordstrom, for example. They're just as good.

Or any pair of shoes on Amazon where Amazon itself is the seller.

Auction sites, however, yeah, that I wouldn't advise.
I specifically indicated "online auction site" for that reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.