Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a pair of shoes half soled,and I want to have the cobbler put on an all leather heel (no rubber).What is the average lifespan of a leather heel?I wear these shoes maybe once or twice a month (usually when I go out to dinner with my lady friend),and only walk on rough surfaces (ie,concrete) when walking into or out of a building.Also,I suppose it would be a wise choice to have heel taps put on,am I correct?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I had Florsheim Royal Imperials with all leather heels- they were somewhat slippery on tile but not all that bad. Get a steel inset at the outer edge and they'll least for years.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
How did they walk back when all leather heels were standard?That isn't meant to be sarcastic,but I'd like to know.
I don't know, but I can't manage them. I briefly had a pair of vintage Florsheim Imperials with all-leather heels. Wore them once, and after slipping and sliding all over the place, I gave up and sold them. I even have trouble, occasionally, with leather/rubber combo heels. I honestly prefer an all-rubber heel for traction, even though I know it's not the most elegant option.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I'm having a pair of shoes half soled,and I want to have the cobbler put on an all leather heel (no rubber)...
I just have to ask...why an all leather heel? Is it aesthetics? I doubt it will be more comfortable and as others have mentioned, it could be somewhat more hazardous. Why then would one opt for an all leather heel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have found leather heels to be lethal when wet, particularly in places like train stations which seem to insist on tiling as a flooring material. I have ended up putting rubber on all my heels because of this.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
How did they walk back when all leather heels were standard?That isn't meant to be sarcastic,but I'd like to know.
I think that in the past, there were not as many smooth surfaces in public (tiles, oil on asphalt, etc.) - so slipping was not an issue.

There is no doubt, having some rubber on the sole is practically a safety (not style or durability) issue nowadays.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that in the past, there were not as many smooth surfaces public (tiles, oil on asphalt, etc.) - so slipping was not an issue.

There is no doubt, having some rubber on the sole is practically a safety (not style or durability) issue nowadays.
Alrigh alright.I'm sending them to the cobbler today for half soles and combination heels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.