Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to dress as Alex P. Keaton for Halloween.

I plan on wearing a blazer, red uni-stripe PP BD, repp or elephant emblemantic tie, khaki chinos, and argyles.

I don't know what type of shoes to wear, though. I don't have any pennies - those would be my first thought. Any thoughts on this idea? Any ways to do it better?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Not a bad idea -- kind of clever, actually -- but I would be afraid that no one would know that I was supposed to be dressed up. (This happened a few years ago when my wife and I dressed as "80's preppies" for an 80's-themed Halloween party -- I wore an argyle sweater wrapped around my shouders, a Lacoste shirt and topsiders and my friends thought that I had neglected to dress up.)

I am afraid you may find that there is very little with this type of a costume that distinguishes it as a "costume", as opposed to an ordinary everyday outfit (unless you are able to find an Alex P. Keaton mask or something).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Ron, you are 100% correct. In fact, that's exactly why I am doing this (and have done it before); it's part of the rub.

I am an 80s child and Alex P. Keaton means a lot to me and my peer group - we all fondly remember Family Ties. So that makes him a worthy character to mimic.

But part of the chuckle factor for me is that I am easily the most dressed of my friends, and that often means that I dress in "preppy" manner (I don't do TNSIL jackets so guys here wouldn't call me trad as per AAAT definition). I like the idea that my friends will give me a hard time, saying that I am wearing exactly what I'd normally wear to work on a Friday. I can then fire back and say, "No, I'm Alex P..."

So, any suggestions? Anyone have a pair of pennies in 10D that they want to sell and air-mail me?

·
Registered
385 Posts
^ Ron, you are 100% correct. In fact, that's exactly why I am doing this (and have done it before); it's part of the rub.

I am an 80s child and Alex P. Keaton means a lot to me and my peer group - we all fondly remember Family Ties. So that makes him a worthy character to mimic.

But part of the chuckle factor for me is that I am easily the most dressed of my friends, and that often means that I dress in "preppy" manner (I don't do TNSIL jackets so guys here wouldn't call me trad as per AAAT definition). I like the idea that my friends will give me a hard time, saying that I am wearing exactly what I'd normally wear to work on a Friday. I can then fire back and say, "No, I'm Alex P..."

So, any suggestions? Anyone have a pair of pennies in 10D that they want to sell and air-mail me?
Excellent Idea! Although I can offer no more than my encouragement for your efforts..

I really loved the 80's and even miss them.. Sometimes I wonder, were they so awesome an era or the fact that I was a teenager and lived with mom and dad while in High School. No responsibilities either until the foolish notion of enlisting in the Marine Corps.. (chuckle)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Maybe make a "Young Republicans" button out of cardboard or something (unless you actually have one lying around someplace?) ;)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe make a "Young Republicans" button out of cardboard or something (unless you actually have one lying around someplace?) ;)
Print a black and white 8 x 10 of Nixon, and put it in a 2 dollar frame. He had one of these.
Great idea! I actually have both somewhere lying around my condo - I'll have to dig them up! Seriously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.