Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

As the title says, I'm wondering about widths of these four brands. Of course, much depends on individual feet, lasts, and models.

I'm a solid B width in pretty much all AE lasts and models. Certainly, some lasts and models in that B width fit better than others. But C is definitely too big. In vintage and vintage-ish J&M, I'm a solid C. B is way too tight. Same with Florsheim. My numerical size is the same in all three brands.

How does your width in Aldens compare to any of the above brands? In your opinion, with the information above, am I more likely to be a B or C in Alden?

Thanks!

Peace and Love.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The only sure fire way to know your width in Alden is:

1. Go to a shop that stocks Alden in narrow widths with a decent selection of Lasts.

2. Start ordering test fitting pairs from various retailers in order to apprehend a proper fitting.

It is also interesting to note that if you are not careful you will spend an exorbitant amount of $$$ trying to fit Alden if you are not careful.

There are several shops that stock Alden in Narrow widths:

https://www.theshoemart.com/

https://www.aldenshoedc.com/

It is also good to know that you will get much further calling up the various retailers and sharing your sizing and fit conundrum in order to ask for advice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
What watchman said is spot on. I was one of the guys without an Alden retailer nearby and spent to much $$$$$ trying to figure it out. Order a bunch of sizes if different lasts and see what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all, for your replies.

My local Alden seller stocks almost no narrow sizes, so I figured trial and error by mail order would be the easiest way to go. That seems to be what is echoed above also.

If anyone has other/more insight, please post.

Thanks!

Peace and Love

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. Nobody is a B width. My cat takes a C. The Peace and Love thing, you can have both? Not with the kind of love I'm used to.
Please, over the internet and without actually measuring my feet, tell me more about my own feet's width.

Joking aside, you may want to let Alden, AE, Thorogood, Rockport and all other makers of B width men's shoes know about nobody being a B width. I'm sure they would be happy to know that they have been making shoes for a segment that apparently doesn't exist.

Okay, now joking really aside, regardless of apparent incredulity, I am a true B - at least in AE's catalog. My one foray in AE C width resulted in a shoe with too much room. Yes, B width folks are numerical minority (and they likely know it), but they (we) do certainly exist. And don't particularly enjoy trying to make too-wide shoes work.

About the peace and love, why not both? My experience suggests it's possible. But that's just me.

Thanks!

Peace and Love :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.