Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that shoemart has an exclusive split-toe loafer from alden on the grant last ... anyone here owns one? How is the fit in the grant last compared to barrie? I think this style makes a nice change from the (classic) 986 penny loafer on the van last.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I saw one of these split toe loafers at the Alden Store in DC last week, but before that had only seen them on The Shoe Mart's website.

Also, I cannot be certain, but I've seen several pictures where it looks like George W. Bush is wearing the split-toe loafer from Alden, but I've had a hard time convincing myself that he'd be particular enough about his shoes to get these hard to come by limited edition Aldens.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I saw one of these split toe loafers at the Alden Store in DC last week, but before that had only seen them on The Shoe Mart's website.

Also, I cannot be certain, but I've seen several pictures where it looks like George W. Bush is wearing the split-toe loafer from Alden, but I've had a hard time convincing myself that he'd be particular enough about his shoes to get these hard to come by limited edition Aldens.
I doubt any shoe is hard to come by for GWB.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts

43 father is 41 and 41 is a connecticut yankee. 43 went to prep school at ST. Paul, Yale and Harvard Business School. His clothing attire came from BB

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love both styles. A loafer is badly missing in my rotation and I don't know which one I should be getting. I am tempted to try the split-toe version since it is limited edition, I can get the 986 later on ... but then, I have a good idea about sizing on the van last ...

My wallet is running away from me as I type this :icon_smile:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Gotta say, I prefer the ones on the right a lot more.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Any particular reason? The 986s are classy no doubt, but I like the slightly longer vamp on the split-toe model. The heel seems to be slightly narrower too, which will be a great plus for many people dreading the heel slippage.
Maybe go with the full strap?

I see the split toe as a bit like a mullet - trying to be two things at once.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Any particular reason? The 986s are classy no doubt, but I like the slightly longer vamp on the split-toe model. The heel seems to be slightly narrower too, which will be a great plus for many people dreading the heel slippage.
+1. Can't articulate my reason but something about the split toe on a loafer looks hideous. The one on the right, on the other hand, looks good.
Pretty much what he said.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The aesthetics just don't work for me. Toe is too pointy overall, but still slightly rounded. The tongue looks almost squarish. The 986 is amazingly versatile, I don't see this other loafer as having a place between the 986 and the full strap loafer, which is a much better choice for dressier occasions.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The aesthetics just don't work for me. Toe is too pointy overall, but still slightly rounded. The tongue looks almost squarish. The 986 is amazingly versatile, I don't see this other loafer as having a place between the 986 and the full strap loafer, which is a much better choice for dressier occasions.
I like and have both the LHS moc and the full strap loafer. the full strap is a little dressier. I would get the split toe only in the revello or cigar color. It looks better than in the #8.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.